Can't open BIOS in Acer Spin 3. Model Name: SP314-54N

7lte
7lte Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 23 in Swift and Spin Series

I've recently got a new Acer Spin 3. Model Name: SP314-54N, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Core i5, Intel Iris Plus, 64x, Windows 10.

I've installed Windows 10, Kali Linux and Ubuntu with GRUB. Then once i changed the Boot priority to just Boot Windows 10 instead of GRUB and since then i can't open the BIOS anymore.

My Problem is, that if i start the Laptop and press F2 or FN + F2 instead of going into the BIOS the Laptop just freezes in the Acer loading screen. Sidefact: Whenever I plug the Charger in while the Laptop ist starting, it randomly beeps. I've already tried pressing the battery button on back, but it didn't work. I've also completetly drained the Battery once and recharged it fully, but nothing worked. I also tried re-installing the BIOS but it just said there's something wrong with the ROM version. So I'm clueless right now.

Also, if i take the charger without connecting to any power source and plug it into the Laptop while it's already started Windows, the Laptop just shuts down immediatly. I guess there is a short-circuit somwhere.

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,698 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

OK, I'm not sure I've ever tried that. I always have my charger plugged into power before connecting it to the laptop. I can envision some charger designs that would pull a back load in that case, but would be surprised if that type of design was used. I have seen many time in Windows that a charger disconnect/connect/disconnect cycle will sleep the system. That's typically one of the symptoms you see when the charger connection is weak…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 7lte
    Answer ✓

Soooooo, I've fixed the Problem! I completely deleted Windows from my Laptop and all of a sudden, I can access the BIOS again. It seems like Windows prevented me to access the BIOS somehow. I once changed the SSD Format setting in the Registry Editor instead of the BIOS, which probably caused the problem. But it could have also happened by some Update of Windows. But now it's working!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,973 Pathfinder
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • billsey

Some flavors of Linux are kind enough to remove the timer that allows you a few seconds to enter the BIOS, figuring (I expect) that end users shouldn't be mucking around in there. You typically can get around it by pressing and holding the key immediately when you press the power button. If you wait a second you will be too slow. The error you see with the BIOS install is normal, you already have that version installed, and it's just telling you it has nothing to do. A short beep when you plug the power in is also normal, but I don't expect the issue with plugging the charger into the laptop causing a shutdown is normal. When you say "charger without connecting to any power source" do you mean the charger isn't plugged into the wall? I don't know what's supposed to happen there, I've never tried it, but I would be surprised if it acted as you say.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • 7lte

No, the thing is, if i leave the charger unplugged for a day or so and plug it into my laptop while it's already started (that means there is no current inside the charger since it's not connected to electricity) my laptop just shuts down. If I provide current for the charger (with plugging it into my power outlet) and then connect it to my laptop whilst it's already booted into windows, nothing happens except my laptop charging.

• billsey
    Answer ✓

OK, I'm not sure I've ever tried that. I always have my charger plugged into power before connecting it to the laptop. I can envision some charger designs that would pull a back load in that case, but would be surprised if that type of design was used. I have seen many time in Windows that a charger disconnect/connect/disconnect cycle will sleep the system. That's typically one of the symptoms you see when the charger connection is weak…

• 7lte
    Answer ✓

Soooooo, I've fixed the Problem! I completely deleted Windows from my Laptop and all of a sudden, I can access the BIOS again. It seems like Windows prevented me to access the BIOS somehow. I once changed the SSD Format setting in the Registry Editor instead of the BIOS, which probably caused the problem. But it could have also happened by some Update of Windows. But now it's working!

• billsey

Which doesn't make sense… The BIOS entry key press recognition happens well before any OS starts to load. More likely something got changed in the EFI file, since that is loaded right at the end of POST. The Windows install will rewrite the EFI as part of setting up the boot manager.