DisplayPort over USB-C stopped working (Swift SFX16-61G)

Options
jayfor
jayfor Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I'll start with a summary;

• SFX16-61G has been working for 2 weeks with two different USB-C (one TB4) based docks.
  • Stopped working all of a sudden, this morning - both locations.
  • Cables switched, didn't help.
  • I dual boot Win10 / Win11 and the dock was recognized even at Boot Manager. Not anymore, so not a cheeky driver update I guess.
  • Tried holding Power Button for 40s. Just messed with BitLocker :)

Any suggestions?

Long winding story:

Been running my Swift SFX16-61G against my ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock (DK2131), albeit Windows reports it running over USB 3.0 (?!) though.

This morning this stopped working and it'll only charge against the docking station. I tried changing cables to no avail. At work, I have a simpler docking station an Asus, with only 1xHDMI - but with USB-C interface to the computer. Same problem, my Swift will only charge.

I'll stress that both the work setup and the home setup HAS worked for 2 weeks.

According to pre-sale support, it should be like this:

Thanks in advance,

Joacim

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

The reason it shows as a USB port is that it is, not a Thunderbolt. USB4 is an AMD thing and different than TBT4. The video should still work, as long as the dock recognizes that it's connected via USB-C. I can't think of any reason it would just stop working, unless Microsoft pushed something out via Windows up[date that broke it.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jayfor
    jayfor Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, thanks.

I'm well aware, it's the 3.0 part of that, that unsettled me. Anyhow, it was working. As I said, don't know what it can be, hoping someone would have any ideas. Seeing as it doesn't work in my Windows 10 either (I dual boot) and doesn't work in Windows Boot Manager, I feel the problem isn't Windows or drivers.

Drives me insane, I like the computer - I don't like just using one screen out of 2 possible.

//J

• stevesmith7461
    stevesmith7461 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Hi Jayfor, did you ever get to the bottom of this ? Like you my USB4 output worked fine for a while and now it only sends data and power, no video. I have the Acer Swift Edge 16 Ryzen (SFE16-43) and the only way to get video out is by HDMI to HDMI, I have USB C to HDMI using one of the USB4 ports and get nothing. Quite annoying since I like the single cable solution to video, mouse/keyboard and to charge the laptop all via a DELL U3219Q monitor. I have an HP Envy that is working fine in the same way so cannot really blame the Windows updates etc. Thanks in advance. Steve