Does my Swift Go 16 SFG16-71 have a faulty battery?

Options
Bieffess
Bieffess Member Posts: 3 New User

I bought this laptop from Amazon UK in October 2023 where the average battery life is advertised as 9.5 hours, and still is. I've never got more than half that, often a lot less. Does my laptop need a new battery?

Best Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,885 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not very likely, that 9.5 hrs rating is at a brightness level of 30%, no background programs running, no turbo boost and the battery saver turned on (Best Power Efficiency Power Plan). If you do all that and turn off networking too you will get the same battery life.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is pretty typical of the power life numbers given with laptops, they always reflect the longest possible by doing everything you can to extend. That environment is just not anything a typical user would want to work in. I remember when I was young the motorcycle top speeds were the same thing, the rider was 80 pounds or less, laying flat on the seat in no wind or with a tail wind and the speed would be measured on a flying 1/4 mile. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,885 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not very likely, that 9.5 hrs rating is at a brightness level of 30%, no background programs running, no turbo boost and the battery saver turned on (Best Power Efficiency Power Plan). If you do all that and turn off networking too you will get the same battery life.

• Bieffess
    Options

Thanks for the answer. I'll give it a try but what a pity to have such an amazing screen that you can't always use to its full potential.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

It is pretty typical of the power life numbers given with laptops, they always reflect the longest possible by doing everything you can to extend. That environment is just not anything a typical user would want to work in. I remember when I was young the motorcycle top speeds were the same thing, the rider was 80 pounds or less, laying flat on the seat in no wind or with a tail wind and the speed would be measured on a flying 1/4 mile. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bieffess
    Options

Thank you, Billsey. I suppose it's like many other official figures like mpg and EV ranges but a 50%+ drop-off does seem excessive.