Why does my Aspire laptop have such weak hinges?

MaryK1957
MaryK1957 Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a very gently used Aspire 3 laptop. After 6 months of use, the right hinge broke as well as the frame around it. I contacted customer service and they wanted $400+ dollars to repair! Instead I took it to uBreakiFix store and they repaired it for $119 using official Acer parts. Eight months later the same hinge broke again and cost me another $119.

Here is the thing; I am not just claiming this laptop is gently used. Since I bought it in Nov. 22, it has remained stationary on my computer desk except for a period of 10 days when I took it out of town. Even then, I transported it in a heavy duty laptop bag, opened it at my destination and it remained stationary for 10 days. To say that I have opened and shut the lid more than 25x during ownership would be a liberal estimate. As further support my careful treatment of this laptop, I own a still working Dell laptop that is over 20 years old and a Toshiba laptop that is 12+ years old. Aside from the out-of-date operating systems they are in top physical shape. I am retired now so my Aspire has not had to travel like my old ones did.

When I researched a computer purchase, I focused on the operating system. I never imagined that the only two moving parts would be so weak. Don't people buy laptops for their portability? So why did Acer put such junky hinges on these laptops? Furthermore why aren't they offering an improved hinge replacement? I have experienced such services from other companies. I wouldn't even care if the hinges were unattractive. It still going to beat duct tape!

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,166 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi, Acer lately improved hinges in Swift X (metal body) and high-end laptops, not sure for Aspire series. For many years I used a very expensive 17" HP/Compaq laptop while traveling (desert field work) and never had hinge issues, but hinge problems are reported for other brands too on the web; Lids (metal and polycarbonate) of ultra-thin low-end laptops tend to flex when not opened in the middle and put too much stress on the hinge attachments and non-metallic frame parts. Dust/dirt and a too tight hinge assembly can also contribute to hinge problems.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,166 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hi, Acer lately improved hinges in Swift X (metal body) and high-end laptops, not sure for Aspire series. For many years I used a very expensive 17" HP/Compaq laptop while traveling (desert field work) and never had hinge issues, but hinge problems are reported for other brands too on the web; Lids (metal and polycarbonate) of ultra-thin low-end laptops tend to flex when not opened in the middle and put too much stress on the hinge attachments and non-metallic frame parts. Dust/dirt and a too tight hinge assembly can also contribute to hinge problems.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,146 Pathfinder

@MaryK1957

This happens a lot on the cheap budget laptops not only from Acer. Mines has the LCD lid replaced 2 times and I have to lose the hinges' bolts to prevent this from happening again. My brother has the 2019 Asus TUF and the hinge screw threads are broken off after just 1.5 years of using it. HP's budget model also suffers from this and causes people to file a lawsuit.

The problem is from bad hinge enforcement and a thinner LCD lid. Placing hinge enforcement on the bottom of the LCD lid will cause huge stress while opening and closing from the top of the lid. You can use both thumbs and open from the middle of the lid.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • MaryK1957
    MaryK1957 Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you both for your comments and explanation and in a sense, YES, you answered my question. As far as the hinge issue goes, I feel that the price of the item is not an excuse for a cheap hinges. How would one know how to judge the strength of the hinges when purchasing? I truly know that it was not your intention to imply that if buying a cheaper laptop you get lousy quality. This laptop was not cheap! I guess, sadly, I am learning again that there is just no way to predict or expect quality any more. Price is no guarantee, especially when you consider the condition of my old laptops. Yes, I sound like my parents 😊. Thanks again.