Orion 3000 PO3-650 upgrade. looking at potentially switching case and getting an AIO cpu cooler.

Options
Woods93
Woods93 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 14 in Predator Desktops

Hi I recently bought a PO3-650 with i7 13700f and a 4060 ti.

The problem I have is that the fans are obnoxiously loud and the cpu temp is almost out of control unless I keep it at max constantly.

So I was looking at potentially switching case and getting an AIO cpu cooler.

https://www.deepcool.com/products/Cases/Matrexx-55-Mesh-4F-Mid-Tower-ATX-Case/2021/4656.shtml

https://endorfy.com/en/product/navis-f280-argb/

However I'm not that used to swapping fans and cases and this motherboard is quite unique, will all this be compatible without swapping motherboard and/or psu?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,973 Trailblazer
    edited March 15
    Options

The Predator PO3-650 desktop has an Acer propriety mainboard shape that is close to a mainboard form factor of a DTX compatible mainboard size that its dimensions are (W× H) of 200mm*320mm, 6 Layers, its PSU is a size ATX and comes in a power size of max 750W which its Acer part # is: DC.7501B.001, so if you don't have this PSU, then upgrade to that for more power.

Now in saying and giving you all the above dimensions and information, the new MATREXX 55 MESH ADD-RGB 4F case that you want to upgrade to does support up to an ATX mainboard sizes and 120mm case fans, so the case is ok for the unusual shape Acer mainboard size of the Dx size, but you will have some problems with connecting the front pins of the power button and USBs, microphone and headset jacks, as the PO3-650 has a different combined plug type connection and not individual pins, so you need to make sure that when you install this Acer mainboard all these connections are made properly (as there is no detailed pin front connectors in the PIO3-650 SG that we can give you) so you will have to figure it out yourself. Also, and when you install the mainboard, you will have enough securing points to secure the Acer proprietary mainboard to the case so that its secure and stable as that is what you will need to take a gamble on with this new case.

With the AIO 280mm water cooling size, your new case has provisions for 2x 140mm case fans at the top so that is where you will need to put the 280mm AIO water cooling radiator and then connect it to the cpu socket with its cpu water cooling head. By the two upgrades that you intend doing, these upgrades for the Predator PO3-650 look good and will improve the cooling allot more. Just a word of advice with the case fans, even that your case has Front: 3×120mm and Rear: 1×120mm fans included (as they will be noisy and of a low quality) my advice is to use the Noctua NF-S12A 120mm fans as they are the best and most efficient on the market, its up to you and your budget. Good luck and hope this has helped you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

There are significant detriments to changing the case, specifically you lose access to all the front ports, since on the PO3 systems those aren't cabled to the front of the case, they are on a 'diving board' that sticks out from the front of the motherboard. The best suggestion that many people have done here is rather than going with an AIO just use the Noctua NH-U9S replacement for the stock cooling and if you still need quieter fans replace the case fan with the Noctua as well. If, for some reason, you think you really, really need an AIO, look at switching to one of the PO7 models which have the larger case and water cooling already.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Bootyfingers
    Bootyfingers Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options

just replace the fans with Noctua models. A common upgrade is the NH-U9S for cpu cooler because if you use the proper intel mounts you don’t need to remove the motherboard to access the backplate. I replaced the front and exhaust fans too with Noctua NF-A9 PMW. The front fan is mildly annoying, but only because the RGB cord to it is like twice as long as it needs to be and is wrapped up a bunch in the cable management clamps. All you need to do to remove front panel is to just pry at the bottom of the case where it meets, there will be a tiny hole u can Jane a screwdriver in. I had the PO3-650 with the 3050 and replaced to a PNY 4060Ti 16gb that is very quiet. Honestly, replacing the fans for noise is pointless when acers OEM blower style GPUs are the loudest part with a high pitch to boot. I also removed the HDD cage since it’s so restrictive, but keep in mind this requires tons of screws and rivets to be removed.

• Woods93
    Woods93 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Switching to a PO7 is roughly another 1400 (in USD) for the cheapest model if I can get a refund so that is not happening. (These upgrades are about 240 USD)

I don't necessarily mind loosing the front usb ports, in a case this big it looks like I might still be able to plug in a wireless headset in the front port.

The downsides are the pins for the power button and my psu is one of the 500w's, adding a psu will ofcourse stretch the budget some more.

I might have to save up a bit and get these upgrades, aswell as a psu and be ready to possibly also buy another motherboard.

The Noctua NH-U9S is a possible solution but if it doesn't help too much it will simply be money down the drain.

Thank you both for your help, I'll have to think about this for a while.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    Options

If you read the other threads here, you will find that pretty much everyone who has done the NH-U9S upgrade has been happy with it. No need for a new power supply.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.