Aspire A715-75G How to keep my battery in healthy state.

Options
mohammedanas
mohammedanas Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 14 in Aspire Laptops

Its been around more than 2 years since i bought my Acer Aspire A715-75G. Currently my battery health is at 42%(ie;20.0137 Wh) . I will soon be buying a new battery to replace this one, but i want some advice on how to take care of my battery health better.

These are my system/personal usage details:

• I have a Endeavour OS + Windows 11 dual boot
  • I use nvidia driver with Hybrid mode in EOS
  • Installed TLP in linux with default configuration
  • Initially i dont charge my laptop until its down to 30% upto around 90%
    • But now i use my laptop always with charger (so that i always have a backup of a hour battery life)
  • Most of my work is in linux, and only use windows for gaming(which i dont do after battery degrading) for a hour or two

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,567 Trailblazer
    edited March 14 Answer ✓
    Options

3-years with 42% battery life left in not bad, you may have depleted the battery a few times but IMO 20% wear/year for a 48Wh, 3-cell, 3580 mAh, 4-cell, 50Wh is OK (needs to be replaced after 4 years, 8 hours/day). Don't use battery limiters like the 80% charge limit option in Acer Care Center and keep the 135-Watt power adapter plugged in 24/7 is my advice to get the longest battery lifespan. A new battery needs to undergo a full charge cycle (called "calibration" by some) for BIOS and MS ACPI protocol battery full capacity registration, failing to do so will result in bad battery stats in Windows and power management issues. Disable Hibernate and Fast Startup, reset your Power Plan to factory defaults (if you use Acer's custom plan, change that to Windows default Power Plan) and shut down completely. Charge the new battery without any peripherals/docking stations/external monitors connected and the lid closed till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait an extra 10 minutes. Boot and verify the battery is charged 100%, Unplug the power adapter and use your laptop all day till it shuts itself off (5% charge left). Close the lid and connect the adapter, charge till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait an extra 10 minutes. Boot to Windows and make a battery report (Command Prompt: powercfg /batteryreport). Accept that rechargeable batteries have a limited lifespan of maximum 5 years, longer if not used much and that the modern Li-Ion batteries have a SMART chip that diverts charging to the MOBO when the battery is fully charged so there is no such thing as battery overcharging, battery memory effect (a myth) and will last maximum1000 charge cycles,
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001587.htm

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,567 Trailblazer
    edited March 14 Answer ✓
    Options

3-years with 42% battery life left in not bad, you may have depleted the battery a few times but IMO 20% wear/year for a 48Wh, 3-cell, 3580 mAh, 4-cell, 50Wh is OK (needs to be replaced after 4 years, 8 hours/day). Don't use battery limiters like the 80% charge limit option in Acer Care Center and keep the 135-Watt power adapter plugged in 24/7 is my advice to get the longest battery lifespan. A new battery needs to undergo a full charge cycle (called "calibration" by some) for BIOS and MS ACPI protocol battery full capacity registration, failing to do so will result in bad battery stats in Windows and power management issues. Disable Hibernate and Fast Startup, reset your Power Plan to factory defaults (if you use Acer's custom plan, change that to Windows default Power Plan) and shut down completely. Charge the new battery without any peripherals/docking stations/external monitors connected and the lid closed till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait an extra 10 minutes. Boot and verify the battery is charged 100%, Unplug the power adapter and use your laptop all day till it shuts itself off (5% charge left). Close the lid and connect the adapter, charge till the amber battery LED turns blue and wait an extra 10 minutes. Boot to Windows and make a battery report (Command Prompt: powercfg /batteryreport). Accept that rechargeable batteries have a limited lifespan of maximum 5 years, longer if not used much and that the modern Li-Ion batteries have a SMART chip that diverts charging to the MOBO when the battery is fully charged so there is no such thing as battery overcharging, battery memory effect (a myth) and will last maximum1000 charge cycles,
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001587.htm