AN515-55-53ES i noticed that it would stop charging occasionally

Options
Pestilliance
Pestilliance Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 14 in Nitro Gaming

So I've had this laptop for maybe a couple of years. In the last few days, i noticed that it would stop charging occasionally, so I'd take it out and put it back in.
Eventually the charger stopped altogether, and i bought a new one; same issue.
I bought a new battery; same issue. The only thing I can do is to alternate between the chargers and batteries until one of the combinations works, temporarily, but this is absurdly annoying and I don't understand what the issue is.
I don't think it's the charging port, because with the new cable it registers it immediately when plugged in, it just flashes orange. The older cable doesn't even register with an orange light most times it's plugged in.

What can I do to troubleshoot the exact issue, and what can I then do to fix it? Any help would be appreciated.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Pestilliance

Tinkerer

Options

Update: Exact model is AN515-55-53ES

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,808 Pathfinder
    Options

@Pestilliance

Can you tell me which indicator flashes orange light? (Charging or power indicator?)

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Pestilliance

Tinkerer

Options
  • AnhEZ28
    Options

@Pestilliance

Try to unplug both the battery and the charger, and press and hold the power button for 10 seconds for power reset.

If that doesn't work, try to use the laptop without the battery, does the charging indicator still blink?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • Pestilliance

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, thank you for your reply. I've tried a power reset already (should have said that, my bad), and without any battery, no lights appear at all + the laptop doesn't turn on.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Pestilliance

Does the battery symbol in Windows change to charging when the charger is plugged in?

• Pestilliance

Tinkerer

Options

yes, it will stay charging for a while (at the moment it's at 23%) then it'll start flashing and begin to drain.
    To clarify from before, it's actually BOTH the charging and power light which flash. I don't know if I somehow didn't notice that earlier, or if it's changed, most likely just focusing on the charging light I think.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Pestilliance

As you mentioned that you have bought a new charger, does the new charger have the same wattage as the old one?

• Pestilliance

Tinkerer

Options

the older charger (which is not the original, but has worked for over a year);
    Input: AC100-240V 2A 50-60Hz
    Output: 19V - 7.1A 135W

The newer charger;
    Input:100-240V 1.8A 50-60Hz
    Output: 19V - 7.1A 135W

I searched for a charger for the type of laptop it was; it was the closest one I found on amazon from a quick look. Is the discrepancy in the Input enough to be an issue?

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Pestilliance

The charger output is fine so it is not the charger issue for now. If those above suggestions don't work for you, you can take the laptop to a PC repair shop that specializes in motherboard repair, as this can be related to charging IC/Mosfet faulty.

• Pestilliance

Tinkerer

Options

I see, thanks. It's worth saying now then, that when I bought this laptop originally, I could barely run anything on it, it took almost a day to even set it up. When I took it back to the store (the second time, because they did nothing the first) and forced them to send it away to have it looked at, it came back as a "vital motherboard error", which meant the motherboard needed to be replaced, allegedly. This makes more sense to me, that it might be an issue with that, rather than the charger itself. Thanks very much for your help.

• AnhEZ28
    edited March 14
    Options

@Pestilliance

I hope that everything goes well with you.