Power supply for TC1780, how much watts power supply should be used

Options
Krakatit77
Krakatit77 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have been a fan of Aspire models XC and TC for a long time, albeit not very savvy. I recently bought a TC1780, thinking to replace my XC 885 and maybe upgrading memory, HDD and a GTC1650. But the power supply says 180W, I thought it was 300W. My old one is 220W, what can I install without fear of running out of power?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can install a 300 watt PSU for this model. Because this is a single rail 12volt PSU, you should stay with the Acer part no. shown below since most 3rd party PSUs sold on line are multi-rail multi-voltage with different connectors.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited March 13 Answer ✓
    Options

That is strange that your Aspire TC1780 comes with a 180W PSU, must have been for cost reasons as in this desktops Acer service guide the 180W PSU is not listed and Acer lists a 300W/400W/500W single rail PSUs only. For the NVidia GTX1650 gpu, you need a suggested 300W PSU. I would get the 500W PSU as that would give you greater scope for power, so search the Acer part number highlighted below on the web, as this 500W PSU will fit into your case and all its connector cables will be for your TC1780 desktop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Aspire TC1780 PSUs listed in its service guide:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can install a 300 watt PSU for this model. Because this is a single rail 12volt PSU, you should stay with the Acer part no. shown below since most 3rd party PSUs sold on line are multi-rail multi-voltage with different connectors.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited March 13 Answer ✓
    Options

That is strange that your Aspire TC1780 comes with a 180W PSU, must have been for cost reasons as in this desktops Acer service guide the 180W PSU is not listed and Acer lists a 300W/400W/500W single rail PSUs only. For the NVidia GTX1650 gpu, you need a suggested 300W PSU. I would get the 500W PSU as that would give you greater scope for power, so search the Acer part number highlighted below on the web, as this 500W PSU will fit into your case and all its connector cables will be for your TC1780 desktop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

Aspire TC1780 PSUs listed in its service guide:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• JackE
    Options

Probably early model? Essentially a 1770?

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Likely just one of the SKUs for a different locale.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.