Acer GN246HL monitor I would throw the 144hz or what type of adapter I need to be able to reach them

Options
Rodrit07
Rodrit07 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 9 in Monitors

I have an Acer GN246HL monitor and I have a gpu (NVidia 1660 Super) that only has HDMI and DP outputs, and I tried using a DVI to DP cable and it doesn't pull me 144hz

I wanted to know if today (2024) you can use an HDMI 2.1 and I would throw the 144hz or what type of adapter I need to be able to reach them

I read several comments that it is not possible through the HDMI output of the monitor because it is 1.4, if I take my monitor to change that input (1.4) for a newer input (2.0 or 2.1) it could be said that it would reach 144hz?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Options

You can't just change the HDMI 1.4 port to a 2.0 or 2.1 and your monitor will have HDMI 2.0 or 2.1, it doesn't work that way. The HDMI 1.4 of your monitor supports a 144Hz refresh rate at 1920x1080p resolution if the color bit depth of the monitor its below 10-bit, if its higher it would not be supported at 144Hz at 1920x1080p. Otherwise HDMI 1.4 does not have the necessary bandwidth to support a 144Hz refresh rate. It is unsuitable for high-refresh-rate gaming. However, there are specific monitors that can support up to 120Hz at 1080p resolution with HDMI 1.4. If you’re aiming for a buttery-smooth 144Hz experience, consider using a more recent HDMI version like HDMI 2.0 or HDMI 2.1. These versions provide better support for higher refresh rates and resolutions, including 1440p and 4K at 144Hz3. For the ultimate HDMI 144Hz gaming experience, HDMI 2.1 is your best bet.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Rodrit07

Tinkerer

Options

I understand, what I need to know is if just by buying the HDMI 2.1 cable I'm going to throw the 144hz, because in the monitor manual it says that per HDMI input it only pulls from 60 to 75 hz

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,801 Pathfinder
    Options

@Rodrigo_05

You can get an active DVI to DP port adapter.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Rodrit07

Tinkerer

Options

I tried to get one but they are worth a lot of money, practically with what they charge me I buy another oantall

• Rodrit07

Tinkerer

Options

@StevenGen

I just tried what he told me and he doesn't throw the 144 hz at me, the monitor is in 8bts and it doesn't appear only 60hz in the settings to change

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,801 Pathfinder
    Options

@Rodrit07

Normal adapter DVI to DP adapter will have 1080p@60Hz only. The Active adapter will let you put it up to 144Hz.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!