Question about Docking station. Can it cause bluescreen when connected to a power socket?

Options
Johnny132
Johnny132 Member Posts: 66 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 9 in Gadgets & Accessories

Hello, I have an I-Tec CADUAL4KDOCKPD2

docking station and I have a question: can it cause a bluescreen when it is connected to a power socket like in the photo? Thank you for your help

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,453 Trailblazer
    edited March 9 Answer ✓
    Options

This is a USB-C charger, does your Acer laptop have a USB-C port that supports Thunderbolt power delivery? Have a look next to the USB-C port on the side of your laptop, if there is a Thunderbolt sign

or if an AMD laptop two horizontal bars (symbol for DC current), those ports have USB-C power delivery, but I recommend using a laptop USB-C charger with a thick fixed USB-C cord. When you try to charge a USB-C port without power delivery, you will damage the port and probably a BSOD will occur. This is not related to the electrical wall outlet you are showing.

• Johnny132
    edited March 9
    Options

My huge mistake and oversight, what an ***** I am🤦‍♂️ So connect the station to your laptop via USB 3.0 and everything should be fine?
    I don't have Thunderbolt, just regular USB C

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,453 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not if you don't have power delivery support. You cannot charge a regular Gen1 USB-C port, it will ruin the port and possibly damage the motherboard. 😑

• Johnny132
    Options

People don't realize how quickly they can fry their laptop, they won't think about what they are doing. I don't know how I read it and didn't notice it. I will read more carefully in the future and will not make such mistakes again. Thank you very much for your help. From now on, I connect the station to USB 3.0 A.
    I have this laptop model.