Acer Nitro 5 AN517-41 - Question about 2nd NVMe SSD

Options
lesmil
lesmil Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello,

I would like to ask for an advise of SSD NVMe upgrade. I have been using 1 TB NVMe and 2,5” 2TB HDD for some time and today I decided to buy M.2 NVMe SSD for a second slot. I have bought 2 TB one. Few moments ago I have found on a forum that it should be 1 TB max. But the things is that I was able to format 2 TB SSD at Disk Management, assigned a drive letter to it as well (it is even visible in BIOS). But I am not able to see that disk in This PC in explorer. Is there some “workaround” or should I return new SSD and get a 1 TB one, please? Thank you.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,014 Trailblazer
    edited March 8 Answer ✓
    Options

If the M.2 NVMe SSD drives work in your AN517-41 the capacity is only restricted by the format that you use, with the MBR/Legacy format, this format is restricted to 2TB drives max and with GUID (GPT) format, this format is restricted to a max capacity of 8 petabytes (which you will never ever reach😁 as 1000TB = 1 petabyte). Have a look at this guide here "M.2 SSD Not Showing Up? Here’s How to Fix It" and go through all the steps and fixes that they suggest as your 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD should work in the AN517-41 laptop.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited March 8 Answer ✓
    Options

If the M.2 NVMe SSD drives work in your AN517-41 the capacity is only restricted by the format that you use, with the MBR/Legacy format, this format is restricted to 2TB drives max and with GUID (GPT) format, this format is restricted to a max capacity of 8 petabytes (which you will never ever reach😁 as 1000TB = 1 petabyte). Have a look at this guide here "M.2 SSD Not Showing Up? Here’s How to Fix It" and go through all the steps and fixes that they suggest as your 2TB NVMe M.2 SSD should work in the AN517-41 laptop.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• lesmil
    lesmil Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks a lot. As my BIOS looks different I only did “Delete Volume” and then reformatting and assigning letter again and voila, disk appeared in “This PC” 🙈.

• StevenGen
    Options

Great that it worked out for you, glad to have helped you somehow.