Acer Extensa 5630 wont turn on after upgrading the processor

Options
Techno11
Techno11 Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited March 6 in TravelMate and Extensa

I need help to diagnose my laptop issue
Recently I upgraded the processor on Acer Extensa 5630 from Intel P8400 3M 1066 FBS to T9600 2.80 GHz 6M .The Motherboard rejected the processor and the PC restarted several time until I forced to turned off by pressing power button. This device compatible with FBS 800 and 1066 ..the P8400 2.26 GHz 3MB 1066 FBS was installed on this laptop without any problem and i tried to upgrade it with same FBS processor but not worked.
however after restoring the P8400 the laptop wont turn on at all completely dead like cold stone. i disassembled the laptop fully and cleared the cmos by taking the battery out..and even changed the ram but not succeeded

I did comparison on intel website between the two the processors , i think the T9600 should works although I still doubt it is corrupted and the problem in the processor not in the motherboard .. if P8400 with same FBS wokred..T9600 should work either..i even checked the chipset ..its compatible with 800 and 1066 FBS and ram 667 , 800MHZ

What are the chances of this laptop malfunctions? is it possible that the mainboard or bios burned out or there any circuit shorted? i dont know !!?

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited March 7 Answer ✓
    Options

The Extensa 5630 laptop came oem with the T9600 cpu so it should work with your mainboard 100%. Don't forget that this laptop is 12 years old, and the problem could be that the mainboard is so old that its circuitries have deteriorated from climatic conditions, and upgrading the cpu could have caused a short in the mainboard main chips like its EC chip, chipset or its bios that could have gotten corrupted or shorted and needs replacing, which is a big job or could mean that you need a new board, as it happens with old boards, as these boards also are prone to their old bios chips going faulty just from an update, which happened to me many times with these old laptops, so be aware of this. If you can get a new mainboard cheap it would be worth fixing, but these old laptops do get to a stage of "how much do you want to spend on them?" as buying a new laptop is probably a better investment. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

These are all the mainboards and cpu's fitted to the Extensa 5630 laptop:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• puli
    puli Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

The intel website shows the T9600 has a 35W TDP and the P8400 has a 25W TDP. The website also shows the T9600 has a VID Voltage range of 1.05V-1.2125V which is higher than the P8400 VID Voltage range of 1.050V-1.150V. Could this have caused an issue with your board or battery perhaps? Links:

P8400

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/35569/intel-core-2-duo-processor-p8400-3m-cache-2-26-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb.html

T9600

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/35563/intel-core-2-duo-processor-t9600-6m-cache-2-80-ghz-1066-mhz-fsb.html

• Techno11

Tinkerer

Options

Thank you for replay
    Do you think the mainboard damaged or maybe the bios?? cause the PC is completely off not turn on on both battery and charger plugged!

• puli
    puli Member Posts: 47 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options

I am not sure what is wrong. If you want to see if the battery was ruined, maybe try taking out the battery and then put the laptop together WITHOUT the battery. Plug the laptop in and try to power it on. See if it will start without the battery.

My laptop was able to run like this when I had to reset the BIOS, but it is much newer than yours, so if you try this PLEASE BE CAREFUL and TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK!!! 😀

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,824 Pathfinder
    Options

@Techno11

Try to unplug the battery and the CMOS battery. Press and hold the power button for 10 seconds to reset the laptop power.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Techno11

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28
    The PC is dead completely not powering up ,no led or lights indications. i did everything possible .
    i even disassembled it and i unplugged the battery and cmos battery no result.

That happened once i installed that processor T9600 the pc restarted in loop 3 times with no display..then i forced it to turn off by power button. after one hour i wanted to restore the previous working processor BUT NOT TURNED ON ..pressing power button with battery plugged and unplugged and even on ac adapter Nothing happened.
    The pc went completely dead. i dont know what happened. the most possible maybe the mainboard shorted and fried.
    do you have any idea maybe i missed?

• Techno11

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28
    Maybe I am wrong but i still think that crappy T9600 damaged the mainboard .

The mainboard is Acer Extensa 5630 - HOMA MB48.4Z401.01M
    compatible with 800 and 1066 Bus support
    the processor that i wanted to install is T9600 2.8 GHz 6M 1066 and the previous one was Intel P8400 2.26 3M 1066 MHz. and same family Penryn..i dont know what happened..
    here is the comparison
    https://technical.city/en/cpu/Core-2-Duo-T9600-vs-Core-2-Duo-P8400

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Techno11

I discovered that some users have successfully upgraded to the T9300 but not the T9600. It might be from chipset limitations.

Since there is no indication even with the charger plugged in, try to test the laptop without the CPU.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited March 7 Answer ✓
    Options

The Extensa 5630 laptop came oem with the T9600 cpu so it should work with your mainboard 100%. Don't forget that this laptop is 12 years old, and the problem could be that the mainboard is so old that its circuitries have deteriorated from climatic conditions, and upgrading the cpu could have caused a short in the mainboard main chips like its EC chip, chipset or its bios that could have gotten corrupted or shorted and needs replacing, which is a big job or could mean that you need a new board, as it happens with old boards, as these boards also are prone to their old bios chips going faulty just from an update, which happened to me many times with these old laptops, so be aware of this. If you can get a new mainboard cheap it would be worth fixing, but these old laptops do get to a stage of "how much do you want to spend on them?" as buying a new laptop is probably a better investment. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

These are all the mainboards and cpu's fitted to the Extensa 5630 laptop:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Techno11

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28
    Yes probably the T9300 will work . i found less on T9600 few people discuss on that, but regardless of this

i still believe this processor should work with my PC since the P8400 worked .

I think that the problem is in the processor itself, which may be damaged, considering that I bought it used from the Internet and the seller said it works flawlessly was taken from working device.

turning the pc without processor will not come to result

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@Techno11

The last resort is taking the laptop to a PC repair shop that specializes in motherboard level repair.

• Techno11

Tinkerer

Options

StevenGen
    Yes I agree with you that chip corrupted or maybe circuties shorted but not because the mainboard deterioration but because the processor itself was corrupted or probably not working with this mainboard resulted in high voltage to the circuties.
    i had this pc since 2009 with T6400 OEM processor

this pc was working very smoothly with win10 on intel P8400 1066 and T8300 800mhz. with ram 8GB 2x4 PC6400 800mhz also have HDMI bluetooth and docking port ,separate mic input .it was very lovely to me since 2009 .

The Acer aspire bord that you suggested maybe fit my pc technically but physically no > the pc case is different. i am thinking to buy an old used extensa 5630 mainboard on ebay ..its very cheap

• Techno11

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28 

Not deserve to service this pc..i will look for good used working mainboard same model online..this is cheap hardware can find it easily.