Fan/Cooling question:ACER Predator Orion 7000 PO7-655 still has the 120mm CPU cooling noise issue

Options
TimUpson
TimUpson Member Posts: 7 New User
edited February 26 in Predator Desktops

I am eyeing to buy the PO7-655 (Intel Core i9 14900KF, 64 GB, 2 TB SSD, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090) but after seeing some older reviews of predecessors in the 7000 series, I am wondering if the 655 still has the 120mm CPU cooling that will be a noise issue. I cannot find a single review on this specific spec and also the spec-sheet does not list the fan parts etc.

Thanks for helping me out.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,542 Trailblazer
    Options

Why yes. There's a dinky 120mm rear fan and up to two huge 140mm up front fans for your machine's case cooling needs and perhaps your listening critique. It does however have a quieter water-cooled CPU fan and water pump option. Unfortunately, earplugs are not included in the deal. How's that sound? I dunno. Probably noticeable. 🙂 Seriously, though, if it were me in the market for this beast, I think I'd test drive one from a vendor with a good RMA policy just in case

Jack E/NJ

• TimUpson
    Options

Thank you for the reply! Alright, since the PC is 20% off here it's still hell of a deal and I am willing to replace the CPU cooling to improve it. Could anyone help me out with pointing at which CPU cooling from Noctua I should get that will work in the PO7-655? I see a lot of info on different upgrades done on PO3 and PO5s but not sure if it works the same with the PO7.

Thanks a lot.

• TimUpson
    Options

Thank you for the reply! Alright, since the PC is 20% off here it's still hell of a deal and I am willing to replace the CPU cooling to improve it. Could anyone help me out with pointing at which CPU cooling from Noctua I should get that will work in the PO7-655? I see a lot of info on different upgrades done on PO3 and PO5s but not sure if it works the same with the PO7.

As you mention also watercooling, what are the options there? I see many people go for the Air cooling of Noctua but I guess the only reason to prefer that to watercooling is cost. Or can I use the existing watercooling that the PC comes with and change the fans connected to it?

Or is this a whole system usually and I would have to buy a full watercooling product like NZXT Kraken or similar?

Thanks a lot.

• JackE
    Options

> >the PC is 20% off here it's still hell of a deal > >

Do you have a link to the PO7 sub-model you're interested in? Because it may not have some of these extra-cost options such as a CPU water cooling and only one front panel fan.

Shown below are the fans and pumps used in these models including the Acer part nos and case-fan dimensions to compare with other manufacturer fans that may or may not be quieter. Fan noise is often directly proportional to airflow CFM and thus cooling capacity. So a quieter fan may not necessarily cool as well.

At this stage, you should definitely NOT try to jump the gun and shop around for cooling mods before you even see & hear what you're getting. It may sound like a 'hell of a deal', but if the vendor has somewhat less than reasonable RMA policies, you may be disappointed and stuck with something you're not happy with.

Jack E/NJ

• TimUpson
    edited February 27
    Options

Yes of course, here is the spec sheet. Sorry its in German, but most should be self-explanatory.

I appreciate also any feedback on this specific spec and how you would rate it. It's available for 3670 Swiss francs = 4100 Dollars = 3800 Euros.

But either way, I will first give it a listen if I buy it and only change the cooling if required.

• JackE
    Options

Seems to have all the factory options & upgrades except higher frequency XMP RAM (6600MHz vs 4800MHz). Are you sure it's in stock? Or possibly a special order that may take weeks or even months to deliver?

Jack E/NJ

• TimUpson
    Options

Yep its in stock and delivered in 1 day if I order it. How much of a drawback is the slower ram?

• JackE
    Options

Not too much. Except not being able to brag about having XMP RAM that's up to 37.5% faster than regular RAM. An important consideration for those who like to brag about not too much. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Karl_D
    Karl_D Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi Tim, I am also considering buying the biggest configuration but also concerned about the fan noise that's being talked about. Did you buy in the end? What's your experience so far?

• TimUpson
    Options

Hey, yes I bought it, super happy so far, no noise at all. But to be fair, haven't played any super demanding games yet. But if you have a good offer, it's a great PC for sure. If I ever run into any issues with the fan I might just upgrade the cooling.

• JackE
    Options

Thanks for report. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• TimUpson
    Options

To be more specific, I am playing Fortnite and even on unlimited FPS (which makes it so that I get around 500fps on average) the fans do not need to work in any high rpm range at all.

Also BF1 at 240 fps makes nothing.

But I should try something more demanding soon.