Motherboard Swap to comply for upgrade Veriton M4640G ?

Options
Kevin6string
Kevin6string Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited February 25 in Windows 11

Is there a Windows 11 compatible motherboard/cpu combo I can swap and fit into my Veriton M4640G ? Maybe a vm4660g board? Or anything that has at least current specs or better than. Apparently my system won't upgrade to 11 😐 my VM4640G has 6th gen i5 …as you see in photo's, this is my proffession. My plan is to use current cloned 1TB SSD from original sata 1TB HDD as I have very important softwares i.e. Avid Pro Tools, Sonar Producer 8.5.3, and Reaper which are all recording DAWs. Fresh install is a no go as some softwares npt limited to these have legacy registration liscences and serial numbers that may not reinstall on fresh install. My current system is Intel i5 core 3.2ghz 32gb DDR4 sdram running Windows 10 Pro. I need at least this much "or better" to stay in business.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,958 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The Veriton M4640G desktop is an Intel 6th Gen cpu board that is NOT compatible with Win-11 and can't be updated to Win-11 OS, for a PC to be compatible with Win-11 OS it has to have a min Intel 8th Gen cpu and a TPM 2.0 mainboard, which is a security criterion for Win-11 that the Veriton M4640G mainboard does not have.

If you want to upgrade your existing Veriton desktop then you will need to buy a new LGA1151 socket 8th Gen mainboard, cpu and ram or buy the latest components like a 13th Gen micro-ATX mainboard, a new cpu, and new DDR5 ram and a new psu which would fit into your existing Veriton case. Other solutions are to buy a brand-new prebuilt 13th Gen RTX 40 series DDR5 ram desktop as doing that will improve the performance of your rig 200% to your existing Veriton desktop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,958 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

The Veriton M4640G desktop is an Intel 6th Gen cpu board that is NOT compatible with Win-11 and can't be updated to Win-11 OS, for a PC to be compatible with Win-11 OS it has to have a min Intel 8th Gen cpu and a TPM 2.0 mainboard, which is a security criterion for Win-11 that the Veriton M4640G mainboard does not have.

If you want to upgrade your existing Veriton desktop then you will need to buy a new LGA1151 socket 8th Gen mainboard, cpu and ram or buy the latest components like a 13th Gen micro-ATX mainboard, a new cpu, and new DDR5 ram and a new psu which would fit into your existing Veriton case. Other solutions are to buy a brand-new prebuilt 13th Gen RTX 40 series DDR5 ram desktop as doing that will improve the performance of your rig 200% to your existing Veriton desktop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Kevin6string

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks! Already knew my unit was 6th generation and reason for my inquirery! I will be using my existing drive so I don't have to reinstall every bit of apps and software installed. 🎸🙃

• Kevin6string

Tinkerer

Options

So lga 1700 would be a good way to go?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    edited February 25
    Options

Sure, you can replace the motherboard with most any microATX sized board. You will also need a new CPU to match the new board and new memory to match the new speed. Note that the power supplies for the M4640G use a 12 pin connector for the motherboard, not the more common 24 pin connector, so you will likely need an adapter to use the existing PSU with the new board. The socket type, LGA 1200 or LGA 1700, will be set by the board you choose, and the CPUs supported will also be defined by the board you choose. You will likely also want to get a new drive, something like an NVMe M.2 SSD also. That will give you a huge performance increase over the old hardware. You should be able to continue to use the old HDD, but repurpose it as a data drive instead of using it as the system drive.

No need to reinstall apps and such, just start by cloning the old drive to the new, then boot from the new. Once you see it is up and running fine, do the upgrade from the old OS to Windows 11 and then use Disk Management to wipe the partitions off the old drive and repurpose it for data.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.