Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57 - GPU 100% USAGE, GAMES LAG: TEMPORARILY GONE AFTER RE-INSATLLING DRIVER

Saboor44
Saboor44 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited February 16 in Nitro Gaming

Specs:
Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57
16GB RAM
Intel Core i7-11800H @ 2.30 GHz
RTX 3050 Ti

I've been having this problem for almost a year now, which has progressively gotten worse and more annoying to deal with. I boot my laptop, open up a game (usually Apex), and the game runs on 40-50 FPS. I open Task Manager and see the GPU utilization at 100%. To solve this, I always have to re-install the graphics driver from GeForce Experience. 95% of the time it works, while the rest of the time I have to re-install the driver for the second time to get it working. The game runs smoothly at around 120-190 FPS after that.

I've googled the issue and found a solution on Reddit where someone figured out that their MSI Afterburner settings were messed up, which kept giving them the same problem. They hit "reset settings," and it seems to work for them and the majority of people. I have never used nor do I know how to use MSI Afterburner. But to be safe, I installed MSI Afterburner and hit reset, but still no luck. I figured some Windows settings may be the reason, so I clean-installed the laptop around August last year. It seemed to fix the problem, but only roughly for a month until it started giving the same problem again. I didn't make any huge changes to the PC between the time I re-installed Windows and when the issue started showing again.

I bought this laptop around the end of 2021, and I haven't taken it to a maintenance shop for a thorough deep cleaning or to re-apply the thermal paste, which I usually used to do with my previous gaming laptops. Could this be the reason? I still don't think that could be the reason since it works perfectly fine after the driver re-installation. How do I fix this? Please help!

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,429 Trailblazer

You need to run the last bios version 1.20 for this laptop and change this laptops cpu/gpu paste and clean its fans yearly and change the thermal pads every 2 years, this is a good practice for a gaming laptop, as if you haven't done any of that after 2+ years its due,

I've got a virtually a similar Nitro the AN515-56 (i7-11370H/RTX3050) and I change the cpu/gpu paste every year with liquid metal and have replaced the pads after 2 years recently, as doing that will keep temps down and does maintain fps in gaming, that is together with playing all gamins within the NVidia GeForce Experience settings, so do that and also use the Thermal Grizzly high end cpu/gpu liquid metal paste and graphite pads as they work great as that is what I'm using on my laptop and they work. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• Saboor44

I keep running updates on my laptop, so its BIOS is updated to the 1.20 version. As for the thermal pads and paste, I'll keep it in mind when I take the laptop to the maintenance shop - thanks! I guess I'll come back to this post until I find time to actually do it. Any other help is still appreciated!

• eGomes
    eGomes Member Posts: 3,714 Guru

Hi,

Have you tried installing the latest updates / patches available for Apex Legends!?

Try disabling V-Sync, adjust settings and update Visual C++ Redist to fix high GPU (99%) usage:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/windows/latest-supported-vc-redist?view=msvc-170

É hora de dizer adeus ao Windows 11! 🤢🤮👎🏻 Linux Zorin e Mint, aí vou eu...🫡🫣

• Saboor44

It's impossible to run the game without updating it to the latest patch, so yes, it is updated.

All graphics settings in-game are set to low, and the v-sync setting is turned off, too. Visual C++ is also updated to the latest version.

• mrxeil
    mrxeil Member Posts: 1 New User

hey i got this problem too, i just wanna ask you… do you already fix the problem?? i need help too

• batmobile
    batmobile Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi,

I am currently having the same problem, and now I can't get to fix it again.

Did you take it to the maintenance shop ? Were they able to help ? I saw on another post someone with the same problem but aparently their maintenance shop couldn't help.

thanks in advance,😊

• eternaleden
    eternaleden Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited September 15

i have same problem, and i just

• Uninstall Nitro Sense
    • Uninstall Gforece Experient and vga driver
    • update windows
    • Restart
    • And reinstall nvidia driver again (but i don't recommend install nitro sense bcs it make same problem in my case )