My XV272U W2 acer, just got home and its stuck on 165hz beeing 240hz

Options
MarceloGomes
MarceloGomes Member Posts: 4 New User

So i had a 144hz monitor, and decided to buy a new one, so i can use 2 monitors, this new one is 240hz, and i have it already instaled and working, but when i open the games to play it show that is only going up to 165hz max, and im putting 240hz. I have already changed on the advanced exibition on system and already changed in game configs, but when i change the graphics to lower or higher it shows that is only 165hz.

I dont know if its the second monitor making this problem or what should i do. I use the displayport 1.4 cable and the 240hz monitor is selected as the principal monitor (1).

Tried going on the own monitor configs, or the nvidia control panel, even my friend that understand a lot of computer didnt know what to do, can anyone help me plz, bought 240hz and im only having 165hz.

Answers

• GAMING6698
    GAMING6698 ACE Posts: 6,351 Pathfinder
    Options

When running multiple monitors with different refresh rates, for example a 144hz and 60hz monitor setup, playing hardware-accelerated content or applications (Youtube videos, Twitch streams, Discord) on the 60hz monitor will often cause the 144hz monitor to drop down to 60.

Also You sure that game too support 240hz?. Some games doesn't support high fps. Eg- Dark soul remastered has 60hz Cap, Elden ring in starting has 6060hz support and by modding it can be 120hz. Check your game maximum supported fps/hz.

windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming 
    Windows 10/11 optimization guide for gaming — Acer Community

My AN515-43 laptop UserBenchmark-
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/51514566
  • MarceloGomes
    Options

So i turned my second monitor, the 144hz one off, i literally unplugged it, but still only going up to 165hz, and the games im playing and testing is: League of Legends, overwatch, fortnite, rocket league, and all of them only goes up to 165hz even with lower graphics, like, if its on ultra or low it goes the same

• KJN9000000
    KJN9000000 Member Posts: 399 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Another limiting factor is the version of the display cable you are using and the display output version and graphics card all three must meet the standards for the output to reach the desired outcome.
    To achieve a 240Hz refresh rate at 1440p resolution, you need the right source device, and a high-speed cable. Here are some details about the cables that can support a 240Hz refresh rate at 1440p:

DisplayPort 1.4: DisplayPort 1.4 cables can support 1080P at 240 Hz, 1440p up to 165 Hz, 4K at 144 Hz, 5K at 60 Hz, and 8K at 60 Hz. However, for 240Hz at resolutions such as 1440p, HDMI 2.0b may not be sufficient due to its bandwidth limitation of 18 Gbps.
    DisplayPort 1.4, with its higher bandwidth of up to 32.4 Gbps, is more appropriate for such high refresh rates at higher resolutions.
    DisplayPort 2.0 and 2.1: Although not as commonly used as DisplayPort 1.4, DisplayPort 2.0 and 2.1 are also capable of supporting 1440p at 240Hz.
    HDMI 2.0 and 2.1: HDMI 2.0 can handle up to 240 Hz when using 1080p resolution, and 144 Hz when using 1440p resolution.
    HDMI 2.1 cables can handle up to 120 Hz when using 4K resolution and 60 Hz when using 8K resolution. Lower resolutions than 4K can all handle up to 240 Hz when using an HDMI 2.1 cable.
    Please note that the actual refresh rate you can achieve also depends on your monitor and graphics card capabilities. Always check the specifications of your devices before purchasing a new cable.

• MarceloGomes
    Options

I mean, ill check the cable, and try a new one, but the problem im having is with fps. The monitor show that im having 240hz, but when i open any game it doesnt go higher than 165fps, it doesnt matter if im playing on lower graphics or higher, it will only be at 165fps, when i should be able to play at 240fps or even higher.

But the own monitor, when i set it to show how many hz its going, it show 240hz, but in game it doesnt pass 165fps. I dont know if its a program that is limiting the fps or maybe a software…

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

FPS and monitor frequency are different things. The monitor is doing a 240Hz refresh, your games are running at 165FPS. The game speed is determined by a combination of the your system specs and GPU and not gated by the monitor.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MarceloGomes
    Options

Humm gotcha, ty all for the help.

But does any of you know any tip i could try to solve it? im literally 24/7 trying to fix it, but i cant find any video or website that solve it. or maybe a suport i could try messaging. Ty again

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

Contact the game manufacturer and see what they say about requirements to run the game faster than the 165FPS you are seeing. Likely it will entail a better GPU…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.