Upgrading AN515-57-51RC Model #N20C1

bassntuna
bassntuna Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 13 in Nitro Gaming

Am I able to expand by adding (2) Samsung 2 T 980 EVO M.2 Hard drives SSD type in the available slots? Or am I limited to only 2 T all together? I will also be adding two 16G SSD RAM to total 32G SSD Ram. I will be using the extra storage for photos and Videos. There are other posts that say that it is ok to put 1T in each slot. But now they make 2T drives. Also they also make these drives with their own heat syncs. Do you know if they will fit? Are they compatible? Thank you.

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,772 Trailblazer

On the left side (main NVME drive) is Gen 4 compatible, the Right side is Gen 3 compatible so Samsung 980 Gen4 and Samsung 970 Gen3 for the second PCIe slot is recommended. 1TB has been tested but 2TB should work. Careful with heat sinks, these two Samsung SSDs don't need heat sinks as they have thermal labels, some 2TB Kingston SSDs have heatsinks.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,428 Trailblazer

Just in addition and to give you more detail, first and with the M.2 SSD cooling, the simplest solution for an M.2 SSD drive is to do what Acer is doing to their new gaming laptops M.2 drives and that is to either wrap the M.2 drive in a thin graphite wrap or put a thermal pad of a 1mm thick running the length of the drive on top of the drive, as that will disperses the heat also quite efficiently.

With the ram, the Nitro AN515-57 max ram capacity is 64GB total into its 2x slots, if you want to upgrade to the top ram capacity, look at the Crucial System Scan for this laptop as Acer does not show any DDR4 32GB type ram modules for this laptop in this laptops SG. Good luck and hope this helps you out further.

AN515-57 memory specs and modules listed by Acer

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• omeyer
    omeyer Member Posts: 9 New User

I bought this laptop because of the i9,11900H CPU and RTX 3070 (PCIe4.0,16x) render power but GPUZ reports the PCIe interface is bottlenecked and only running @ 8x. PCIe4.0. Will relocating/removing the M.2 NVME restore the full 16x PCIe bus interface to the RTX 3070?

• omeyer
    omeyer Member Posts: 9 New User

FYI - power settings are all set to performance. The wireless adaptor was removed from the system. The i9 11900H mobile documentations says it supports 20 PCIe lanes. So four for the NVMe, should leave a full 16x slot for GPU. Well that's how I interpreted the technical documentation available before I purchased the Acer. What have I missed?