Where can I get the bios file and how do I upgrade the bios? My computer is the EL 1850 / X1900.

Options
System
System Member Posts: 4,518 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
This discussion was created from comments split from: eMachines EL1850-01e Want to upgrade CPU.

Answers

• Teasnack
    Teasnack Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hello,

I want to upgrade my CPU too. As i understand I should upgrade the bios to the latest version. But the links provided here are not working, also I cant find the files on the Acer support site. Where can I get the bios file and how do I upgrade the bios? My computer is the EL 1850 / X1900. Thank you.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

The EL1850 was a Windows 7 machine, so it's certainly old enough that Acer wouldn't have online support for it any longer, even if it were Acer branded. We don't typically recommend a CPU upgrade on any machine until everything else has been exhausted. Are you booting and running from a SSD yet? Do you have the memory maxed out? Are you using an appropriate GPU if playing games or doing video/image editing? If the answer to all those is yes, then you can look at the minimal improvement a CPU will provide. If you need a BIOS update you will have to go to the third party sites that might have archived the images.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Teasnack
    Options

Hello,

Yes I got the PC from my parents. I am doing this mostly for fun and want to use the PC for Retro Gaming.

I changed the HDD to a SATA SSD. Also the ram is maxed out with 2X2GB DDR3. The CPU is a Pentium Dual Core E5500. I want to replace it with a quad core CPU. At the moment I do not have a discrete GPU, will eventually buy one after the CPU upgrade.

Can you recommend reliable third party sites?

• Teasnack
    Options

Hello,

I got the PC from my parents. I am doing this mostly for fun and will use the PC for retro gaming.

I upgraded the HDD to a SSD. Also I maxed out the ram with 2x2GB DDR3. The CPU is the Pentium Dual Core E5500. I want to upgrade to a quad core. I do not use a discrete GPU, eventually I will get one after the CPU upgrade.

Can you recommend reliable third party sites?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

What version of the BIOS is installed now? I do find sites that reference running quad core CPUs on it, but nothing that tells me a BIOS version required.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.