How to know exactly if battery is dead in Acer A515-51G

theprogamer007
theprogamer007 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited February 5 in Aspire Laptops

I have an Acer A515-51G (i5 8250u, MX150 GPU), with a 48wh battery, which is about 6 years old. Naturally, the battery backup had become a bit less due to age, but till November 2023 it gave around 1.5 hours of usage on battery.

But in December 2023 & Jan 2024, I could not use it very much, and when I opened it, battery was at 0% and could not start without plugging in. Then after charging and some usage for a few days, I was getting about 30-45 minutes of battery life and also disabling the battery driver stopped it from shutting down on turning off charger, and then 3 weeks ago it stopped charging. I have to use it plugged in continuously (like a desktop) and it switches off as soon as I turn off charger switch.

I opened it up and disconnected the battery to verify if the charger is faulty. But it ran fine with the battery disconnected just on charger power. But the physical battery pack does not have any visual damage (not swollen or deformed etc.)

Has the battery totally died? Or can it be somehow externally charged and then re connected?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title]

Answers