Predator Orion 5000 (P05-650) audio question

Options
tuneman59
tuneman59 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 3 in Predator Desktops

I just purchased a Predator Orion 5000 (P05-650) last weekend after months of debate and hot/cold reviews on different systems. I finally settled on this one because of its specs and it was supposed to be future proof /upgradable I thought. I needed to install a firewire expansion card for my DV device and was shocked to find four bays and one PCIe slot on the MB. So my card is right under one of the GPU fans. It clears fine but I am hoping airflow won't be an issue. That being said this 1394 card is tiny, if it were any bigger that last slot would be useless! I have to say that I was pretty disappointed when I saw this! The system is sleek, fast, and has what I need and shopped for, for months but I don't call this all that upgradable. Yes you can upgrade certain things but lets say for instance your onboard audio bites the dust! Then what? I thought I was going to install a Sound Blaster card that I already picked out and now with three empty bays and no slots to connect to I am scratching my head. This is easily the most powerful and fastest PC I have ever owned and I love it for that reason. i7 13th gen. 32 GB ram, 4070ti, 2TB. Its plenty for me right now for editing my music but, I am a bit miffed over the fact that I cannot upgrade my sound if needed. If I am missing something please enlighten me. I am all ears! Also, please tell me about the empty bays in the bottom of the case, are these specifically for future storage, and I am guess that the cables are tucked in with the rest of the wires. I tried to research this but came up empty. Thank you for any help!

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,986 Trailblazer
    Options

Plug the 1334 firewire expansion card into the PCIE1Х1 slot at #23 and plug a SoundBlaster AE-9 sound card into the 2nd PCIE1Х16 slot. (which and btw, you can also connect an external card also). so study the mainboard below, as you have plenty of port and space for expansion of a sound card. Good luck.

This is your PO5-650 Main-board Placement:

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍