Thunderbolt 3 upgrade on PO7-650 predator orion 7000 Is there possible to install/upgrade somehow

AASIG
AASIG Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 8 in Predator Desktops

Hi!

Just bought a predator orion 7000 with 64 gb ram but realized its not thunderbolt compatible.

I need thunderbolt 3 so i can plug in an external audio interference that demands thunderbolt 3. It is not possible with USB 3.2.

There is several solutions with pcie cards but I cant see any free pcie slots? Is there possible to install/upgrade somehow else?

BR/M

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title and issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,453 Trailblazer

You have three PCIe slots, one of which is used by your GPU:

You may be able to use slot #19 for a TBT card. Slot #21 is an x1 slot, so will not be fast enough.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AASIG

Billy, wow thanks! 😀

I can’t see if the slot is free though, will probably need to remove the GPU and also measure so that the TBT card will fit behind the GPU before order it?

I feel a bit worried to remove and install a 2500 dollar GPU a couple of times, dont want to damage it 😅 Any thoughts about that?

BR/M

• billsey

It shouldn't be that tight of a fit. The chassis is designed with running two GPUs as an option, and they typically take up more than one slot. A TBT card will be much thinner.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • AASIG
    edited February 14

Opened up to loolk again. There is no space behind the gpu unfortunately. Would also need to angle the card upwards with something like this:

Is there any other way to install TB3? Some adapter to the motherboard? Found some slots for what apears to be for harddrives, is there any adapter fitting in there? I dont care if the tb port is inside the chassi 😅

• billsey

Wow, you are right, they turned everything on it's side with the 650 models. It looks like they are using that slot for the GPU and with it sideways it covers both #21 and #24. :( It looks like there's a pretty good size gap between the GPU and the motherboard, but no open slots on the back to use a right angle adapter like that. You may be completely out of luck for adding a TBT port…

• AASIG

Thanks anyway Billsey. Seems like a completely impossible mission 😥

If NASA got this problem, I´m pretty sure they would crack it. Come on NASA!!! 👽️👩‍🚀🤠💪

• billsey

Of course, they'd crack it with 1970s technology… 😊