Predator X5 5G CPE does not connect with 4G

Options
gtgb
gtgb Member Posts: 9 New User

Hello good folks,

Purchased an Acer Predator X5 almost two weeks ago and it's really neat. There are some quirks to get used to, but generally speaking I'm impressed.

My Predator X5 does connect to 5G and gives really good performance with receiving signal three out of five bars and speed of around 80-90 Mbps (internal antenna), which is good for the countryside.

I have noticed that my Predator X5 never connects to 4G (the 4G lamp never turns blue), even though I have checked the connection settings, which I think is the reason for outages, which I am having right now, so I connected with my old 4G dongle to ask this question, i.e. the internet provider is not down.

Anyone with a solution to this problem? Should I get in contact with Acer directly?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,625 Trailblazer
    Options

Try to set you router to 4G it will switch to 5G automatically when provided by your ISP. We live in the country and have a lot of issues receiving 5G Wi-Fi, using our 10-year-old LTE 4G router now.

• gtgb
    Options

Okay, a workaround of the Predatoor X5. Doesn't exactly sound logical, but I will give it a try and see what happens.

• gtgb
    edited February 3
    Options

Dashboard now says that primary WAN is 4G … well, actually I think it's 4G+ since the speed is really good. Even though the 4G light indicator does not show a blue light. It does not light up at all. Let's see if it stays like this. Thank you very much, Puraw.

• gtgb
    edited February 3
    Options

Sorry for being slow, but if I understand this correctly either the built-in antenna is too weak to get steady 5G - or, there isn't any 5G, yet?

Interesting food for thought because the provider actually claims in their coverage chart that we should have excellent 5G coverage (even though they do not advertise anywhere what the speed of 5G would be).

I'll see how this progress with an external outdoor 360-degrees antenna, since right now I am being very innovative in finding the best indoor spot to get three out of five bars coverage.

• gtgb
    Options

The Predator X5 also crashes with 4G only. It's getting really annoying.

Thank God that I still have the old 4G dongle.

• gtgb
    Options

I am giving up on the Predator X5 router. It crashes within 30 minutes on 4G only, even with an external antenna mounted. It's not possible to get in contact with the interface. The Predator X5 router gets pretty warm, which is my uneducated guess as to why it crashes.

• gtgb
    Options

Today, I got information that the Predator X5 router is not coming back from fault finding and the purchase price will be credited to my account. I have already found a replacement router - not an Acer.