Spin 513 resizing windows,or stopping videos, moving tab ghost keyboard / cursor / machine

Options
mtomat
mtomat Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 5 in Swift and Spin Series

My machine has a life on its own…

About 4 months ago it started behaving erratically, resizing windows, starting or stopping videos, moving tabs, … the backlight of the keyboard being a nightmare going on and off on its own. I live alone so no one touches this machine which I use for my PhD and a bit of leisure; it never fell and I do not smoke in the house…

I thought it could have been a software issue but regardless of the updates, it still does it. I have done a hard reset and powerwash; I cleaned the keyboard etc with the appropriate air duster, I tapped it like a kid on the back to see if anything went under the board; I gently placed a thin piece of paper under the side of the touchpad to see if that was causing the problem… Mercury, the planet of communication is also direct, so that can't interfere [!]…

I feel like throwing the machine against a wall, tbh.

Has anyone else experienced the same and if so, what have you done?!

thank you,

matilde

Acer Spin 513 bought end of Dec 2022. The previous Spin I had lasted for over 4 years and it was a pleasure until unexpectedly the battery stopped charging

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• KJN9000000
    KJN9000000 Member Posts: 400 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

My first thought was someone (Hacker) was remoted in and screwing with you. but a power wash/reset would have kicked them out at least initially. I would press F2 on boot and disable Network/LAN Boot.

Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
    Click on System.
    Click on Remote Desktop.
    Toggle the Remote Desktop switch to Off.
    A verification message will appear, click on the Confirm button.

It seems like you’re experiencing multiple issues with your Acer Spin 513. Here are some possible solutions based on similar problems reported by other users:

Random Resizing Windows: This could be due to the “Snap” feature in Windows. You can try turning off the “Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen” option in Settings.
    Stopping Videos: This could be related to a freezing issue. Some users have reported similar problems when browsing with Mozilla or Chrome or watching YouTube videos in full screen. It might be a hardware or Windows issue.
    Ghost Keyboard / Cursor / Machine: If your cursor is shaking or moving on its own, it could be a mouse setting issue. Try adjusting the “Pointer Speed” slider and uncheck the box beside “Enhance pointer precision” in the Mouse settings.

Please note that these are just potential solutions based on similar issues. If these don’t work, you may want to contact Acer’s customer support for further assistance. Remember to back up your data before making any major changes to your system.

Acer’s warranty time frame varies depending on the product and region. Here are some general guidelines:

Desktops, All-in-ones & Revo: One-year limited warranty.
    Consumer (Predator – Manufactured before 2019): One-year limited warranty.
    Consumer (Predator – Manufactured 2019 and after): Two-year limited warranty.
    Commercial (Veriton V_4XX and V_6XX models): Three-year limited warranty.

Laptops (Aspire, Swift, Switch, Spin): One-year limited warranty.
    Commercial (TravelMate): One-year limited warranty.
    Commercial (TravelMate P2, P4, P6): Two-year limited warranty.
    Ultra-thins, Netbooks & Chromebooks: One-year limited warranty.

Please note that these are general guidelines, and the actual warranty may vary. Always check the warranty card that came with your unit or the official Acer website for the most accurate information1. If you need further assistance, feel free to ask! 😊 Contact Acer Customer Support Directly (USA) Acer Inc. 1 (866) 695-2237

• KJN9000000
    KJN9000000 Member Posts: 400 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

My first thought was someone (Hacker) was remoted in and screwing with you. but a power wash/reset would have kicked them out at least initially. I would press F2 on boot and disable Network/LAN Boot.

Press Win + I to open the Settings app.
    Click on System.
    Click on Remote Desktop.
    Toggle the Remote Desktop switch to Off.
    A verification message will appear, click on the Confirm button.

It seems like you’re experiencing multiple issues with your Acer Spin 513. Here are some possible solutions based on similar problems reported by other users:

Random Resizing Windows: This could be due to the “Snap” feature in Windows. You can try turning off the “Arrange windows automatically by dragging them to the sides or corners of the screen” option in Settings.
    Stopping Videos: This could be related to a freezing issue. Some users have reported similar problems when browsing with Mozilla or Chrome or watching YouTube videos in full screen. It might be a hardware or Windows issue.
    Ghost Keyboard / Cursor / Machine: If your cursor is shaking or moving on its own, it could be a mouse setting issue. Try adjusting the “Pointer Speed” slider and uncheck the box beside “Enhance pointer precision” in the Mouse settings.

Please note that these are just potential solutions based on similar issues. If these don’t work, you may want to contact Acer’s customer support for further assistance. Remember to back up your data before making any major changes to your system.

Acer’s warranty time frame varies depending on the product and region. Here are some general guidelines:

Desktops, All-in-ones & Revo: One-year limited warranty.
    Consumer (Predator – Manufactured before 2019): One-year limited warranty.
    Consumer (Predator – Manufactured 2019 and after): Two-year limited warranty.
    Commercial (Veriton V_4XX and V_6XX models): Three-year limited warranty.

Laptops (Aspire, Swift, Switch, Spin): One-year limited warranty.
    Commercial (TravelMate): One-year limited warranty.
    Commercial (TravelMate P2, P4, P6): Two-year limited warranty.
    Ultra-thins, Netbooks & Chromebooks: One-year limited warranty.

Please note that these are general guidelines, and the actual warranty may vary. Always check the warranty card that came with your unit or the official Acer website for the most accurate information1. If you need further assistance, feel free to ask! 😊 Contact Acer Customer Support Directly (USA) Acer Inc. 1 (866) 695-2237

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,979 Trailblazer
    Options

Heheh, looks like their AI dump wasn't noticing you are asking about a Chromebook, not a Windows laptop. :)

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.