CPU Frequency locks at 0.18 GHZ, when 40W charger is connected

Options
madhan_office
madhan_office Member Posts: 3 New User

I use Samsung 65W charger ( https://www.samsung.com/in/mobile-accessories/65w-power-adapter-trio-black-ep-t6530nbngin/ ) to avoid carrying multiple chargers. When I just connect the Travelmate laptop on Type-C, C1 (65W) port, the laptop charges normally and the CPU frequency is in the normal range. But I connect a second device in Type-C, C2 (25W) port, the charger drops the wattage in C1 port to 40W, but then the laptop shows as charging, but the CPU frequency drops to 0.18 GHz making the laptop unusual.

In other HP laptops, the charging rate of the laptop drops, but there is no impact on the performance.

This definitely looks like an issue with USB Type-C charging in the Acer Travelmate|P laptop, any guidance on how to resolve this, other remove the 2nd device from port C2?

Charging rate as reported by "Get-CimInstance -Class batterystatus -Namespace root\wmi" is as follows.

1. With just laptop on C1 (65W) port - 16386
  2. With laptop in C1 port (whose power should have dropped to 40W) and another device on C2 (25W) port - 3065

Both the scenarios, it shows the charging status as 'True' with just two different charging rate which is acceptable. But why should the CPU frequency drop to 0.18 GHz in the later scenario?

Answers