Verification of firmware.Is the only way I can receive verification of Acer firmware is to pay

Options
compis
compis Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter

I asked the Acer forum for verification for BIOS firmware and presented a SHA256 hash 2a5a4c23b22ef6f17d55e97edfe0eecb006dacf1432beb4c96c0ed04bcdc6980

I asked for my out of warranty machine and was told the forum can not provide verification of firmware and to contact Acer support. Acer support seems to only provide fee based support.

Is the only way I can receive verification of Acer firmware is to pay ? Or is there another option ?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

If you downloaded the firmware from Acer's support site, you shouldn't need any sort of additional verification.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • compis
    Options

the SHA256 hash verifies the integrity of the file. since the latest version of my BIOS does not install stating an error I want to verify the BIOS file.

• billsey
    Options

What computer do you have? Which BIOS is installed now? Which BIOS are you trying to install? What error do you get when you try it?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • compis
    Options

Here is the previous information I placed on Acer's forum which should answer all your questions. See below.

I am still looking to verify Acer's BIOS firmware with an SHA hash confirmation.

• billsey
    Options

Acer will ask you to pay for any direct technical support for out of warranty machines. If you download the BIOS image from Acer's support site, you shouldn't need to worry about hash values.

• compis
    Options

Since the downloaded version does not work I am asking Acer to verify their own firmware. But from your response I take it Acer will not verify there firmware aan I am to pay for verification of Acer's firmware ?

• billsey
    Options

There is no verification needed. What version of Linux are you trying to install and where does it fail? The old L BIOS versions were only stopgap measures to deal with the early Linux revs that didn't handle UEFI correctly… Any reasonably current distribution should install fine.

• compis
    Options

I say there is verification requirement.

How can the company Acer not provide firmware verification?

The BIOS on my machine will not update to the latest. That means the firmware I am trying to update is not valid or the current BIOS is not valid.

• billsey
    Options

Or the BIOS is for a later model motherboard. They do sometimes have more than one motherboard design for a model.

• compis
    Options

No excuses.

I clearly demonstrated the firmware and it is applicable to my situation. It is clear that Acer does not want to to provide verification of there BIOS firmware.

Why will Acer not provide an SHA256 verification of their BIOS Firmware?

• billsey
    Options

I'm not going to bother with any more answers. Acer will do what they want, not what you want them to do.

• compis
    Options

I can;t understand why Acer is clearly not providing an answer. How can Acer explain not providing a sha256 hash for their own firmware?

There is a flaw in the current version of BIOS I am running and this update should correct it so do not tell me garbage about I do not need to uggrade the BIOS. Is Acer putting work on providing BIOS updates that users don't need to upgrade?