(Predator PHN16-71)BIOS file is not allowed to flash, I'm trying to upgrade my BIOS manually to 1.13

Options
kalorpheus
kalorpheus Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited January 25 in Predator Laptops

I'm trying to upgrade my BIOS manually to 1.13 to prevent crashes and other problems. However, whenever I run the file I downloaded from product support, it always shows "BIOS file is not allowed to flash". How can I fix this? (Predator PHN16-71)

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,284 Trailblazer
    Options

Stick with BIOS version 1.12 it is the same date, IMO you don't need to update the ME (Intel Management Engine) and BIOS via EFI shell (in case you don`t have OS installed).

• kalorpheus

Tinkerer

Options

@Puraw how am I supposed to resolve the crashes then? I read in a thread earlier that updating the BIOS to 1.13 solved their freezing problem which is why I wanted to upgrade mine as well. The crashes happen randomly and at different frequencies which is very irritating especially when I'm playing.

• Puraw
    edited January 26
    Options

Make sure Windows11 is UpToDate you should have this version:

For the freezing, boot to Safe Mode and check if the freezing happens with Windows Base Video driver too, if OK you need to uninstall your display drivers in Safe Mode with DDU, make sure you are online and reboot. To refresh the system image, go online and repair system files paste these commands in the Command Prompt opened as administrator: Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and Enter. This should complete successfully, then paste this line: SFC /scannow and Enter that will repair some files, rerun SFC till you see "…did not find any integrity violations": https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000091878/graphics.html

• kalorpheus

Tinkerer

Options

@Puraw I only have this version of Windows. I tried checking for updates but nothing's showing.

• kalorpheus

Tinkerer

Options

Hello @Puraw up on this one?

• Puraw
    Options

The upgrade to 23H2 apparently has not been offered, did you check your Optional updates in Check for Updates? Run the Update Troubleshooter and if completed check again for updates. You can manually trigger the upgrade (see link below) as the files are probably installed just waiting to get enabled by Windows Update. First refresh your system image with DISM, make sure you are online and paste this in the Command Prompt opened as administrator: Dism.exe /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth and when completed paste this in the Command Prompt: SFC /scannow that will end with "Repaired some files", run again till to see "….did not find any integrity violations"
    https://www.elevenforum.com/t/kb5027397-enablement-package-for-windows-11-version-23h2-feature-update.19372/

• kalorpheus

Tinkerer

Options

@Puraw Update: I was able to upgrade my windows to 23H2 and I followed the rest of what you said. Still, my laptop keeps on crashing. Are there other solutions for this?

• Red-Sand
    Red-Sand ACE Posts: 1,892 Pathfinder
    Options

You can click your start button then type "reliability history" and check the timeline to see what exactly is failing when your laptop crashes. Sometimes the culprit isnt what you think.

- Hotel Hero
  • kalorpheus

Tinkerer

Options

Hello, @Red-Sand! This is what it shows.

• kalorpheus

Tinkerer

Options

Can anyone else help me with these? The solution above didn't help my problem at all. The crashes still happen.

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,780 Pathfinder
    Options

@kalorpheus Does the new BIOS version 1.15 solve the issue?

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • kalorpheus

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28 my current BIOS version is 1.15 and as I said, the crashes still happen. Do you have other solutions for this?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,952 Trailblazer
    Options

What error codes are you getting from the BSOD crashes, as that is the solution to why you are getting the BSOD screens. Next time you get a BSOD blue screen take a caption of the error code and description and post it on here. As the PHN16-71 laptop should not be crashing from its hardware, it must be a software issue.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• kalorpheus

Tinkerer

Options

@StevenGen It isn't a BSOD crash but more of a glitch and freeze crash. Here are some photos for reference. Sometimes, the glitch is not as evident, but the frame would move slightly and then freeze; or it doesn't even glitch but still freezes. I had no other option than to manually restart it by pressing the power button. Is this a graphics card problem? The crash happens at random times, more often when I play games.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,952 Trailblazer
    Options

Its a hardware problem, send your laptop to Acer Tech Support as this should not be happening to a new laptop and such a top gaming rig like the PHN16-71. As I've said, don't leave this until the warranty runs out, as the parts on this laptop are very expensive.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍