I wiped the had drive using another computer it shows Operation system not found

Options
Mabee91
Mabee91 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 25 in TravelMate and Extensa

Good day

My laptop had I problem of turning on and off then I wiped the had drive using another computer however now it shows no operation system found what could be the cause

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,883 Trailblazer
    Options

If you reformatted your boot drive on another computer either in an external USB case or internally, it will be blank and you need to Clean install Windows on the drive with a USB flash drive and a Windows ISO image.

• Mabee91
    Mabee91 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

And what could be the cause of it when turned on it says preparing automatic repair then turns off ?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,067 Trailblazer
    Options

The reason you are gettin the "preparing automatic repair then turns off" is because formatting this drive on another PC the drive wasent fully formatted and its still got a recovery partition that it tries to fix but its corrupted. Best is to go to that other PC that you formatted this drive with and do the "clean all format" as that will 100% wipe everything off that drive like when it wa new and you will be able to clean install Windows. Good luck and hope this helps you out some more, as I just did this to a 1TB M.2 SSD and it worked 100% and I reinstalled a clean install of Win-11 23H2.

Note: a clean all format for a 1TB drive depends on the speed of the drive as a Gen4x4 takes 2 hours and an overall average of 3.5 hours per TB, as this format completely formats every sector of your drive. To do a clean all format do this:

1. Open the elevated command prompt: click "start" button, input "cmd" in the search box and press Enter, right click the program and choose "Run as administrator".

2. In the pop-out command prompt window, type "diskpart" and press Enter to launch the utility.

3. Type "list disk" and press Enter: get a list of disk numbers to select from.

4. Type "select disk #" and press Enter: substitute # for the disk number listed that you want to run "clean all" command on. Here we select disk 2.

5. Type "clean all" and press Enter.

When the word “DiskPart succeeded in cleaning the disk” appears, type "exit" and press Enter to close the elevated command prompt window.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

And you can actually do that a bit easier by removing any partitions left from within the Windows install process. When you get to the screen that asks where to install, just manually delete any partitions listed, and then choose the unallocated space (the entire drive) as the destination. The Windows installer will create all needed partitions for you.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.