Black screen with power light on Acer Spin 713-2W Chromebook

Options
HAZNOT
HAZNOT Member Posts: 1 New User

Getting black screen even though power light is on. Tried pressing brightness button with no change. Tried connecting to another display with HDMI cable without an image. Tried pressing/holding refresh and start button for 10 seconds, computer sounds like its powers down and back up but screen stays black. I can hear fan come on when I press the power button. Any other suggestions. Any recommended places where i can get repaired that will not cost a lot? Thanks

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Power light is actually battery status light, it doesn't indicate that the system is on.

Since you get no display on the laptop and you get no display on an external monitor it sounds like it's not getting through the power on self tests. If it were getting through those you would at least get the splash screen up. There isn't really a BIOS setup with Chromebooks like on Windows machines, so you can't just reflash if there's been some sort of corruption. Here's what the service guide says for power on issues:

Since you are likely old enough to be out of warranty, if you would like to tear into it yourself here are the steps once the back cover is off:

That wide ribbon cable under the fan in that image is the one that goes to the daughter card.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.