Does Travel Mate P276-MG support connecting an SSD with an NWMe2 interface?

Options
Alan777
Alan777 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 23 in TravelMate and Extensa

I couldn’t find any information on the Internet.. please tell me, does TrawelMate P276-MG support connecting an SSD with an NWMe2 interface? The photo shows a connector that I think is PCIe x4 with a possible connection for a fast NVMe2 drive

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have to disagree with that. The service guide to the P276-MG specifically states:

And the machine is from 2014 and though the NVMe standards were released in 2011 they weren't widely adopted yet in 2014. The block diagram does show two channels:

yet both are marked SATA. It believe they were starting to support NVMe x2 at the time, but didn't have it tested to the depth needed for full support. You might be able to put a NVMe drive in, but it would certainly not run any faster than x2 speeds. SATA will work however, and the 128GB shown is only what they tested. It will work with any size SATA drive in that slot.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    Options

The M.2 SSD drive slot above is an M end key type slot that accomodates either a PCIe 3 two lane or four lane M.2 SSD drive. In the Travel Mate P276-MG model laptop its an M.2 slot for either a PCIe3x2 M end key drive or a SATA end key M.2 drive, the best and quickest is the PCIe3x2 or x4 typeM.2 drives.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have to disagree with that. The service guide to the P276-MG specifically states:

And the machine is from 2014 and though the NVMe standards were released in 2011 they weren't widely adopted yet in 2014. The block diagram does show two channels:

yet both are marked SATA. It believe they were starting to support NVMe x2 at the time, but didn't have it tested to the depth needed for full support. You might be able to put a NVMe drive in, but it would certainly not run any faster than x2 speeds. SATA will work however, and the 128GB shown is only what they tested. It will work with any size SATA drive in that slot.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Alan777
    Alan777 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 25
    Options

Thank you so much, will definitely use your tips! May everything be wonderful in your lives)