In ConceptD 500 RTX3070 desktop PC & wondered if it would be possible to upgrade GPU

Options
GTofCas
GTofCas Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi, I have a ConceptD 500 RTX3070 desktop PC and wondered if it would be possible to upgrade to a new RTX 4070 Super or something similar ?

I guess the PSU might be a problem and I've no idea if Acer do a bigger PSU that fits or if any other PSU with bigger wattage would fit ?

I'm happy with the PC at the moment, but would like to upgrade it in future if possible.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,029 Trailblazer
    Options

The official NVIDIA website recommends a power supply of at least 650W for the RTX4070 GPU. However, there are users that have used an RTX4070 with a 500W PSU that was sufficient to power the RTX4070 GPU. The ConceptD 500 desktop has an oem 500W Acer single rail type PSU so if you buy an RTX4070 and fit it to this desktop, you do so at your own risk as your desktop was not designed for the RTX4070 GPU but an RTXRTX3070 GDDR6 8GB that is a desktop GPU that is optimized for gaming and other graphics-intensive applications while the other GPU for the ConceptD 500 desktop is the A2000 12GB GDDR6 GPU is a workstation GPU that is designed for professional use cases such as 3D modelling, rendering, and scientific simulations (see caption below).

It is important to note that the power consumption of a PC depends on various factors such as the CPU, GPU, and other components. Users should note that the maximum power consumption of a system with an RTX4070 GPU and an Intel Core i7-12700 CPU would be around 300 watts.

If you are considering using a 500 watt PSU to power your RTX4070 GPU, it is recommended to check the power consumption of your entire system and ensure that it does not exceed the maximum power output of your PSU. You can also consider undervolting your GPU to reduce its power consumption. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

ConceptD 500 CT500-53A oem PSUs and GPUs

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• GTofCas
    GTofCas Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

So as I understand it, it's a standard ATX PSU. Thanks for the reply. Love the PC as it is, but just wanted to know if it was possible to upgrade at some point because AAA game are starting to use more vram.