SFG14-42 stuck in low frequency after boot

Options
rand0
rand0 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi there,

my SFG14-42 is stuck at around 500 MHz when starting if the battery is at 20% or below. This is reproducible and can be resolved by plugging in the charger. It is independend of the govenor that was set before shutdown or the OS.

It appears like the issue is in the BIOS (1.06 installed).

Has anyone else observed this strange behaviour?

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,599 Trailblazer
    Options

Yes, the system is throttled by the Power Plan settings and Windows Battery Saver logic. Always leave the power adapter plugged-in and the battery fully charged, there is nothing to be gained unplugging the adapter. Changing BIOS S1-S5 settings and/or Advanced Power Plan settings will result in unexpected behavior like BSOD or unable to wake the system from sleep.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Did this problem occur right after updating the bios?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Options

That throttling is done by Windows, not by the BIOS. Check in power options for the limits that are set and adjust as appropriate to your usage.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • rand0
    Options

I don't know, because I updated right after I got the device.

• rand0
    Options

Umm, yeah, well. That's not how it works…

• rand0
    Options

No, that is not related to Windows. This also happens after using Linux ;)

But maybe I did not make that totally clear. This happens right at startup before any OS is involved. The green Acer logo usually appears instantly after pressing the power button. But when the battery is below 20%, even this logo takes several seconds to show up.

Also disabling the power limit in Windows/Linux does not affect this behavior. That's why my guess is the BIOS.

• danielsf9405
    danielsf9405 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

Yeah I can confirm the same issue, the exact same issue that you describe. I am running bios 1.02 though so it looks like it's a bug in the in both bios versions. I really hope acer can fix this, otherwise I'll have to return this device.

• danielsf9405

Tinkerer

Options

So I can get it to boot with normal frequencies if I reboot after the first boot at 500mhz (or even less) when my battery is low. But it is intermittent if the next boot will work or not. It hangs pre acer logo, it kinda feels like it's some kinda bios bug. Kinda reminds me of the steam deck 400mhz bug. Does anyone know of a way to get acer devs attention to help fix / debug this for others? I love this laptop, but this bug may make me have to return it.

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Try updating your bios to this version:

BIOS

Update Insyde Logo fail issue patch

Acer

2024/02/26

10.16 MB

Download

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • danielsf9405

Tinkerer

Options

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately updating to this bios made no difference to the issue. :(

• Commodore_1995#
    Options

Have you checked the temperatures with hwmonitor?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• danielsf9405

Tinkerer

edited April 22
    Options

Hi, yep Hwmonitor shows normal temps across all sensors. Here is a video of the issue, sorry for talking so much in the video haha. It's worth adding that this issue also comes up when running on battery, with the laptop on as well when less than 30% battery

A little bit stuck with the laptop now. Acer won't touch it as they have a repair contract with Curries. However, curries tried to repair it, claimed it's fixed and sent it back with nothing fixed. I really wish Acer would handle this as it's not a simple problem but affects the usability of the laptop drastically.

• danielsf9405

Tinkerer

Options

Hi, yep the temps are low across all sensors when this happens according to hwmonitor. This is a video I took of the laptop a while back showing the issue. Sorry for how much I talk haha. It's worth noting that this bug can randomly appear as well when running on battery when it hits less than 30%.

A little bit stuck with the laptop now, Acer has refused to touch it as they have a repair contract with Curries and Curries have tried to repair it and failed, now won't do much except get stuck in a loop of sending it off, doing basic tests and then coming back saying it was fixed when it wasn't. I wish Acer themselves could handle this as it's not a run-of-the-mill issue.