In Acer Predator PHN16-71Audio crash after plugging in external webcam logi webcam HD Pro C920.

Options
JavierRivera
JavierRivera Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 15 in Predator Laptops

I'm just using my new Acer Predator PHN16-71 and found out a problem setting it up to my peripherals. I managed to issolate a problem I had when audio goes away and it seems the cause is one of the usb components I'm conecting to my laptop, it is a logi webcam HD Pro C920. The webcam works fine with other two laptops so I don't think there is a hardware problem with it, but just when I plug it in my Acer the sound stops and then, I can't see any sound device listed in the system, I can't either use any webcam (integrated included),

and the System Event Viewer shows the following:

The Windows Audio service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 5 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 180000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

However, the sound never comes back until I disconnect the webcam. I've make sure to get the latest Windows updates and drivers with Acer Care Center.

Any suggestion besides getting another webcam? What models should be 100% compatible?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title and to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,980 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Try to disable the PHN16-71 webcam in Device Manager first and then connect the logi 1080p webcam and see if windows install the audio drivers also, if not install Logitech Capture software and see if that will update the audio of your webcam or see if there is a firmware update with Camera Settings - 2.10.4 as this camera should be a plug and play type for every laptop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

Answers

• StevenGen
    Answer ✓
    Options

Try to disable the PHN16-71 webcam in Device Manager first and then connect the logi 1080p webcam and see if windows install the audio drivers also, if not install Logitech Capture software and see if that will update the audio of your webcam or see if there is a firmware update with Camera Settings - 2.10.4 as this camera should be a plug and play type for every laptop. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• JavierRivera
    JavierRivera Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks!! I've disabled the ACER FHD User Facing camera in the device manager and installed Logitech Capture, still faced some weird issues at first, the camera was listed for the first time in the system and I could see the image in the windows camera app but the sound went away like it always did. I then proceed to disable the Microphones for the camera in the Device Manager (Just a guess these were conflicting somehow with other audio devices):

Then I restarted the Windows Audio Service and then re-enabled the ACER FHD User Facing webcam. Lastly, when sound got restored, reenabled the Microphones for the HD Cam.

I'm still not sure what was happening but I think these steps had resolved my issue. Thank you!

• StevenGen
    Options

Good and I'm glad that I've give you some other ideas and otions, as this Logitech webcam aint cheap and it would be a pity if you can't use it. Good luck.

• RolandDeschain
    RolandDeschain Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

My brand-new Predator PH16-71 audio became disabled when a Logitech webcam was plugged in, and after a full windows re-install (at the suggestion of Acer support) the problem still persisted.

Here is what fixed it. It has been 4 days turning the machine on and off, unplugging and plugging in the webcam, still working flawlessly.

While logged in with admin permissions:

plug in the webcam, you'll see the speakers disable and you have no sound

open services 'as administrator'

go to windows audio and double click it to open

go to the login tab

switch it to log on as Local System account radio button at the top, hit apply

restart the windows audio service

now you have the right icon but still no sound

go to Windows Settings > Sound

scroll down to input devices, find your webcam and select it

scroll to the sound enhancements section and turn it off

close the settings window

go back to services

open the windows audio service again

go to the login tab

select This account

click browse

click advanced at the bottom

click find now on the right

select the LOCAL SERVICE account, click ok

The password fields need to be blank.. delete the ******** entries

click apply

restart the windows audio service

Sound is back and working

• Manki
    Manki Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Thank you, RolandDeschain! This issue had prevented me from using my Logitech c922 webcam with my Acer Nitro5 AN515-57-56FC for many months. Following your step by step instructions above gave me back my preferred webcam!