TC1660 with hard drive inadequate for Windows 11

ScottyBFG
ScottyBFG Member Posts: 2 New User

I bought one of these with a 2tb hard drive last February and it never worked satisfactorily. I had a hard year with hip operations and didn't really get to the bottom of it. In frustration I fitted a Sata SSD as Drive C: and doubled the memory while at it. The difference is almost immeasurable (around 1min boot up etc, v 10min).

Less a question than information for others having similar problems.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer
    edited January 11

The Aspire TC-1600 desktop has a 1x PCIe3x4 slot that and if you install a 1TB or 2TB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe M.2 SSD and use it as the boot drive, it will perform 5 times quicker in read/write speeds of 3400MB/s while to a SATA-3 SSD drive that only runs max at read/write of 700 MB/s. Buy a PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD and install that as you will find that it will run much quicker.

Aspire TC-1600 mainboard

PCIe3x4 M.2 SSD Acer lists for the Aspire TC-1600 desktop

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• ScottyBFG
    ScottyBFG Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks StevenGen. My motherboard had an m.2 slot but it was Sata only unfortunately. Your solution is the preferable one, but just the SSD does the job.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Yes, they target those machines at the lower end of the market, and that means they have SKUs with HDDs instead of SSDs. Dropping a SSD in makes a huge difference. The M.2 slot is not SATA only, it supports NVMe x4 using PCIe 3.0, so a drive there will be somewhere near four times the transfer speed of a SATA SSD.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.