CPU upgrade & BIOS update for Travelmate 5720 101G12Mi

Options
afcolyer
afcolyer Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 11 in TravelMate and Extensa

I have an old travelmate which aside from an occasional clean and replacement battery, has outlasted every other laptop I've ever had.

I'd like to upgrade the CPU (currently a T7100) to the best one it can take, since they are cheap to find on ebay.

I've not found much definitive info online aside from some evidence that the 5720 series did have a variant that used the T8100, but I can't find much more info than that other than the compatibility list for the chipset which is here: https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_%28chipsets%29/PM965_Express.html

Though chipset support alone isn't any guarantee.

This has BIOS version 1.22 and I have seen that there seems to be a v1.35 BIOS but can't find a download from a source I trust.

Can anyone shed some light on what CPU I can upgrade to - could I put a T9300 or even a T9500?

And does anyone happen to have a trustworthy source for a BIOS update?

Thanks!

Best Answer

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited January 11 Answer ✓
    Options

The Travelmate 5720 laptop support has been discontinued by Acer, this 2010 model Acer laptop came oem with the Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 / 2 GHz cpu that is a Socket: SocketP and the model T8100/T9300 cpu's are both Socket: BGA479 cpu and they will not fit into the T7xxxx cpu slots.

The most powerful cpu for your Travelmate 5720 101G12Mi is the Core 2 Duo T7800 - 2 core/2threds/2.6 GHz frequency/800 MHz FSB/4MB L2 Cache/TDP 35W, but you also need to upgrade the ram to max 4GB and its 2.5" HDD to a 2.5" SSD, as doing all that will increase this laptops performance by at least 100%. All the drivers for this laptop are available at HelpDrivers - that have 89 files available for Acer TravelMate 5720. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

Sorry, spec says Socket M for the Travelmate 5720 systems, not Socket P:

The Socket P processors will not fit in a socket M.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • afcolyer
    afcolyer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks both - very helpful thanks!

I can confirm in the meantime I ordered a used T8300 for about 5 pounds on ebay, arrived today and fitted it and it does work fine.

I have also added 4gb of ram and replaced the hard drive with an old SSD, working great so far.

Appreciate the info, thanks!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

I'm glad we could help. It's nice to see some of these old systems still in use.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.