Aspire XC-780 Is it true that it doesn't support UEFI? the SSD and hard disk cannot be read in the

dozim
dozim Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
I've tried switching UEFI and it doesn't work. As a result, the SSD and hard disk cannot be read in the BIOS. now I use legacy ssd running normally and my hard disk is readable.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,441 Trailblazer

Do a bios update of the XC780 desktops last bios version R02-B2, the bios can be set in the Advanced mode to Onboard SATA Mode - Select an operating mode for the onboard SATA – AHCI - so that you can format the drives in GUID (GPT) format also, the AHCI feature of the BIOS and UEFI are activated, as its generally recommended to have AHCI mode enabled if you have a modern system and are using a SATA-based storage devices. Enabling AHCI in the BIOS settings allows it to take advantage of its features and performance benefits.

TX780 BIOS

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

The XC-780 came from the factory with Windows 10, so UEFI was required. Likely you just didn't have the Intel storage drivers ready to install when booting from a UEFI install image. Switching to AHCI mode removes the need for those drivers, and disables the features available when in native mode. Not a big deal unless you were going to plan on using the RAID support or some such. No need for anything special in the BIOS, other than the enable the boot menu so you can choose a boot device.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • dozim

unfortunately I can't update the bios to the latest version R02-B2 too risky. the AHCI feature is active.

• dozim
    UEFI requires Secure Boot. Meanwhile, activating secure boot will result in the hard disk and SSD not being read in the BIOS

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Actually, UEFI doesn't require secure boot. When secure boot is enabled the system won't load an EFI file that's not signed, when secure boot is disabled, it will load any EFI file, even one that has been infected with malware. That's the reason it's suggested to leave secure boot on at all times. Secure boot has nothing to do with the BIOS recognizing disks, only with allowing or disallowing EFI loads.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.