My acer predator orion 3000 po3-620 is doing some weird things In windows

Options
mobilecosine682
mobilecosine682 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Hi all, my acer predator desktop computer (i7 10700, 16 GB 2666 and rtx 2060 is acting in a way I don't think is normal, I noticed my cpu at around 30% usage doing normal tasks is running at around 4.44 GHz but when I play beaming. Drive, a pretty cpu intensive video game my cpu at 100% usage runs at roughly 3.8 GHz and the performance it quite lacking, I tried opening Intel Extreme tuning utility to see if I'm having a power limit issue but it just gives an error about the bios or something, I wanted to try updating the bios to maybe get more performance out of my cpu but I can't find any kind of bios update online of anywhere, any kind of help would be really really appreciated because my computer is abnormally slow and I don't know if it's just that my pc is too old.. thanks in advance 😁

Answers

• mobilecosine682

Tinkerer

Options

I got Intel xtu to work and found my cpu is current limited at 73 watts, doesn anyone at all know if there is a bios update for this motherboard or anything to raise the power limit?

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,986 Trailblazer
    Options

The Predator PO3-620 desktop has full support online from Acer, follow that link and go to the BIOS/Firmware section and upgrade the bios to the last bios version R01-A2, titled "Support Realtek Audio codec 897" if you still have the Acer oem and first bios version installed as its there for all users. But your PO3-620 problem is NOT THE BIOS its how your desktop is setup which is why its performing so slow and its performance is quite lacking.

Make sure that you have all the windows updates done and install the Intel driver and Suppler Assistant and do this scan to get the latest Intel drivers up to date but most importantly, make sure that your RTX2060 gpu is running with the last Win-10 NVidia Game Ready driver and especially install the NVidia GeForce Experience software, as this software has your RTX2060 gpu best settings for BeamNG.drive game.

Hardware wise, and if you want to do some serious editing and playing games, as I presume that your cpu also overheats, I would upgrade to the NH-U9S chromax.black cpu cooler and also you should upgrade the ram to at least 32GB (2x 16GB DDR4-3200MHz modules) but preferably 64GB at 4x 16GB DDR4-3200Mhz with the Acer suggested fastest ram for your PO3-620 desktop, which is the "MICRON UNB-DIMM DDRIV 3200 16GB MTA16ATF2G64AZ-3G2J1 LF+HF Z21C - Acer Part #: KN.16G04.014" also run a fast PCIe3x4 type M.2 SSD drive like the Samsung EVO 970 or the WDC SN750 Black gaming M.2 SSD which the combination of a cool cpu and quick ram and a quick M.2 SSD will increase your PCs gaming potential by allot and take allot of load off your cpu which is bottlenecking and is why its slow and hanging in gaming. Good luck and hope this helps you out.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• mobilecosine682

Tinkerer

Options

i have all the drivers up to date on this pc and my gpu / ram is fine. i don't beleive it's the bottleneck, i checked intel's website about the cpu and the intel core i7 10700 only supports 1933 MHZ ram speeds. i did a Cinebench r32 benchmark on the system and it got 8500 points multithreaded when from what i've seen online its supposed to get 12000 points and the cpu speed was staying solid at 3.6 GHZ. i beleive the motherboard is not powerful enough for the cpu as in intel xtu the cpu never really went over 70 watts power draw. it was also not overheating at the time. thanks for the reply.

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,986 Trailblazer
    Options

The PO3-620 desktops Core i7-10700 has a TDP of 65 watts. This TDP means that the i7-10700 CPU will consume a maximum of 65 watts of power (PL1) at its max base frequency of 2.90 GHz. The Core i7-10700 can reach 224 watts (PL2) when reaching the 4.80 GHz max turbo frequency and it can't go up to a TDP of 70W. This desktops mainboard is a Chipset PCH: Intel H470 and it supports Memory - DDR4 1.2V 2933/2666/3200 MHz U-DIMMs (4GB/8GB/16GB) dual channel up to 64GB total memory like its listed below from the PO3-620 Acer service guide. If you want more performance, then buy a new desktop like the PO3 or PO5-650 Acer new desktop range. Good luck.

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options

There isn't a BIOS update that will allow you to run the CPU at a higher power level. The level is limited by the temperature it runs at and the stock cooling system will leave it throttling at high CPU activity. I believe that's what you are seeing. If you revamp the cooling by installing the Noctua NH-U9S your peak temperatures will drop by 10-15C and that will allow the CPU to draw a bit more power at the top end.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mobilecosine682

Tinkerer

Options

in all the time of me owning this computer it never really got that hot, I watch the temperature every so often and haven't seen it hit 90 before but just in case I set the cpu fan to spin faster and the cpu temperature is not the issue here, maybe mine is ofaulty in some way because others have said their computers got to like 95° c and I've never experienced that high of a temperature

• bioofceleb
    bioofceleb Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

It sounds like you're experiencing performance issues with your Acer Predator desktop computer, particularly when playing CPU-intensive games like BeamNG.drive. Despite your CPU reaching 100% usage, it's running at a lower frequency than expected, leading to subpar performance.

Firstly, regarding the BIOS update, it's important to ensure that any updates are obtained directly from Acer's official website. You can typically find BIOS updates under the support section for your specific model of Predator desktop. Be cautious about obtaining BIOS updates from third-party sources, as they may not be legitimate or compatible with your hardware.

Before attempting a BIOS update, there are a few other troubleshooting steps you can try:

1. Check for Thermal Throttling: High CPU temperatures can cause thermal throttling, where the CPU reduces its speed to prevent damage. Make sure your CPU isn't overheating during gaming sessions. You can use monitoring software like HWMonitor or MSI Afterburner to check temperatures.
    2. Power Settings: Ensure that your power settings are set to High Performance in Windows, as this can prevent the CPU from downclocking during intensive tasks.
    3. Drivers and Updates: Make sure all your drivers, including graphics card drivers, are up to date. Outdated drivers can sometimes cause performance issues.
    4. Check for Background Processes: Make sure there are no unnecessary background processes consuming CPU resources while gaming. You can use Task Manager to monitor and close any unnecessary applications.
    5. Hardware Check: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, it's possible there could be a hardware problem such as a faulty CPU or inadequate cooling. Consider contacting Acer support for further assistance, especially if your computer is still under warranty.

If you still decide to proceed with a BIOS update, make sure to follow the instructions provided by Acer carefully to avoid any potential issues or damage to your system.