Can anyone tell me what it means when the laptop beeps?

Options
richbau57
richbau57 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 7 in Switch Series

Can anyone tell me what it means when the laptop beeps?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,617 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

When you plug-in or unplug the power adapter you hear a beep to alert you of a power supply change, this is an Acer feature that I find very helpful. In Windows when you keep a key pressed down, move the cursor off the screen with the arrow or some Fn key that may cause a system beep. On Acer PCs you have the POST beeps for failures that may sometimes also apply for the larger gaming laptops:

• richbau57
    Answer ✓
    Options

thanks for this information! I only get one short beep, no display…but I don't understand what it means by "Display test failed"…what display?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is also a beep right at the end of POST, before Windows starts loading. It's normal as an indication the tests were passed and can't be turned off.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Puraw
    Answer ✓
    Options

When you plug-in or unplug the power adapter you hear a beep to alert you of a power supply change, this is an Acer feature that I find very helpful. In Windows when you keep a key pressed down, move the cursor off the screen with the arrow or some Fn key that may cause a system beep. On Acer PCs you have the POST beeps for failures that may sometimes also apply for the larger gaming laptops:

• richbau57
    Answer ✓
    Options

thanks for this information! I only get one short beep, no display…but I don't understand what it means by "Display test failed"…what display?

• Puraw
    Options

The laptop display but the short beep is probably caused by the adapter power management, just ignore,

• richbau57
    Options

thanks…do you know of any way to make it stop?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,783 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

There is also a beep right at the end of POST, before Windows starts loading. It's normal as an indication the tests were passed and can't be turned off.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • richbau57
    Options

Thank you Billsey and Puraw!