Trying to fix an aging Travelmate 6592G that kept shutting down a few seconds after boot.

Options
JB_denmark
JB_denmark Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 5 in TravelMate and Extensa

I am trying to fix an aging Travelmate 6592G that kept shutting down a few seconds after boot. I suspected a cooling system failure resulting in thermal shutdown. So I disassembled the machine according to the service guide (especialle the hidden keyboard screw in the WiFi bay was tricky to find).

However after replacing the thermal paste and and thermal pads with my usual types, the laptop now shuts down before even trying to boot the OS, making me think I used the wrong thermal materials. The service guide I obtained doesn't say anywhere.

So which thermal material should I use for the model 6592-series or similar Acer laptops?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Chicken4U
    Chicken4U Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options

Any goo and pads should work, right ??

Sounds like a dead battery.. ?? Can't charge…

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

It doesn't sound like a thermal issue to me, the shutdown would be much slower even if the heat sink were removed. More likely it's a battery issue or an issue with the motherboard itself. When you go to power it up, does the fan spin for a bit before the shutdown? Does it go through POST before the shutdown?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JB_denmark
    JB_denmark Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Plan is to run on mains with no battery, though the old battery is still present for the power on attempts. When powered on the fan spins (visible only with keyboard removed). What else should be checked.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

It is often tough to find out just how the design was done. Some laptops run the motherboard off the charger power unless it's not there, and only switch to battery when the charger is disconnected. That would work as you expect. Some are designed to always run on battery, and the charger only energizes the charging circuit to keep the battery up. On those it will not run without a battery, even with the charger plugged in.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.