Buying ASV15-1BP to use as 3d pinball field. Will 3d effect work in vertical mode at 30-degree angle

Options
nickski
nickski Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 4 in SpatialLabs

Hi All, I want to buy the ASV15-1BP to use as a 3d pinball field. Will the 3d effect work in vertical mode at a 30-degree angle?

Does the 3d engine have the ability to turn any game 3d?

Best,

Nick

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,574 Trailblazer
    Options

The player might be able to see the screen in 3D. But only if the monitor's eye-track camera can also follow both of the player's eyeballs. Download the ASV15-1BP manual from this link for guidance on player position relative to the screen.

Some but not all 2D games can simulate 3D. Depends on the specific game software, not the monitor. Current game titles are listed here.

Jack E/NJ

• FatherCreamy
    FatherCreamy Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Options

The 3D effect only works when viewing the monitor horizontally (landscape orientation) which turns the 3840 x 2160 resolution into 1920 x 2160 for each eye. I think for it to work vertically they would need to rotate the lenticular layer so that the 3840 x 2160 resolution becomes 3840 x 1080 for each eye.

You can find 3rd party software to turn many games into 3D by using the in-game depth map to create 2 different views Side-By-Side (SBS), but it might be a little gimmicky and hit-or-miss. I think ReShade is a popular option, but I've never tried it.

I think the only difference between the Pro and View models are the apps, where the Pro model has apps for creators but doesn't include the TrueGame app (which might be able to be transferred over from the View's software if they haven't patched it?).

The TrueGame app is pretty much a Steam Library page with 110+ titles that you can play in 3D, and you need to have the games installed on Steam or other specified platform to play them. Almost all of the games work with Steam with a few exceptions, and sometimes a game will also work with Epic, gog, or Game Pass. Out of the 110+ titles, currently 53 of them are in "3D Ultra" which uses 2 in-game cameras for a near-seamless 3D experience, but you'll still experience crosstalk ("ghosting"), and some hiccups due to the fact that the games weren't designed with 3D gaming in mind. https://www.acer.com/us-en/spatiallabs/truegame

• JackE
    Options

Jack E/NJ

• Dcubed
    Dcubed Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited January 7
    Options

Unfortunately the 3D effect only works when the screen is used in landscape. Just like with the Nintendo 3DS, the 3D effect breaks if you tilt the display sideways.

The screen is able to convert any SBS image into stereoscopic 3D, so it WOULD actually work with Visual Pinball X's 3D mode, but the 3D effect only works when viewed in landscape; so unfortunately it's not very useful for making a virtual pinball table (I thought of exactly that same usecase myself as I'm hoping to get a VPin table of my own at some point lol).

If only Acer could release a portrait version of the screen… it would be the perfect VPin display!

• JackE
    Options

Jack E/NJ

• NikkiC
    NikkiC Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Options

I have the Pro version. It has no problem running TrueGame. I got the Pro version so I could experiment with Unity3D. With Unity3D or Unreal Engine, you have the possibility to change the perspective with head movement, unlike "3D Ultra" where the perspective is locked. This does require a beefy PC, as it's pretty laggy.