CG437K USB Type C port as upstream.I plug in via USB Type C cable?

isaacngym
isaacngym Member Posts: 4 New User
edited January 4 in Predator Monitors

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can use peripherals connected to my CG437K's USB ports with a laptop which I plug in via USB Type C cable?

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 12,649 Trailblazer

If everything is turned on and the laptop USB-C port supports display out that shout work, try it.

• isaacngym

it didn’t work - USB 3.0 is switched on, in the OSD menu too.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer

What USB ports do you have on the monitor? There are a bunch of different CG437K models with various optional connections. If you monitor has a USB-B connector on the back and multiple USB-A ports on the monitor, they work in concert as a USB hub. If you have either only a USB-C or also a USB-C port it's used as a video source and possibly as a power source.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • isaacngym

I have a USB-C on the back, 1 USB B on the back, 2 USB 2.0 (the ports look grey, anyway) on the back, and 2 USB 3.0 (the ports look blue) on the side. The USB C port has been working fine for video and power to my laptop, but considering the manual states that the "USB 3.0" option in the menu is only usable with the DP-ALT mode, I would have thought that the USB C port can also work as a part of the USB hub…

After reading billsey's message I tried disconnecting the USB-B port - the laptop still didn't react to any USB device I had plugged in. When I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the USB C cable, I managed to get my USB peripherals working on my laptop, but the connection was "sticky" in the sense that I had to unplug the USB C laptop before my desktop (connected via USB B) could use the USB peripherals.

I suppose the way to practically make use of this would be to disconnect my laptop whenever it's not in use, but it's still a little confusing that this isn't something that can be done in-menu. Thanks all for taking the time to respond.

• isaacngym

Seems like it's messier than that - I left the usb type B port plugged in to my desktop and connected the type C port to my laptop, but either the connection is "sticky" (i.e. whichever connection it made first will be the one it uses until disconnected) or the connection seems to prefer the type B port. Which means that in the end I still have to unplug my other device when changing devices. It's pretty frustrating all things considered.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    edited January 11

The USB-B cable should only be for connecting the four USB-A ports on the monitor as a hub to the computer. The USB-C port is only for video and requires the computer support DP Alt Mode on the computer's USB-C port. USB-A ports don't support DP Alt Mode on any version.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.