Is the charging port on this Acer Nitro 17(AN17-51)broken?charger need to kept in postion to charge

jlaw4ever
jlaw4ever Member Posts: 3 New User
edited January 4 in Nitro Gaming

My son JUST bought this laptop, and it won's charge unless the cable is in a very specific position, and remains undisturbed. There is a random brass "tang" that is not connected to the rest of the brass ring….is this correct? Has anyone had issues with perhaps the charging port not being properly soldered to the mobo? Also, does anyone know what mobo the Acer 17 AN17-51-70CB uses?

[Edited the thread to add model number to the title and to add issue detail]

Best Answer

Answers

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 11,895 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

This is a new laptop and opening the back may have voided the warranty. The DC port looks damaged and needs to be replaced by Acer Services in your country. This may have been caused by forcing a wrong size adapter barrel pin in the DC port.

• jlaw4ever

Thank you for the response! I was surprised to see that there was no security tape of any kind to mark whether the case had been opened or not. I'm glad you were able to confirm that it looks broken.

• RubenN88
    RubenN88 Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi there. Not sure if this is broken. However. I have the exact same model AN17-51 (got it 12th december) and laptop just stopped recharching when plugged into wall (yes I have tried plugging in another wal socket with no luck). Dont know if there were any updates to the systems lately but that could have caused the issue. TRying to find out what's wrong because this thing is brand new and im taking very good care of it.

• jlaw4ever

That's interesting. I have found that if I place something under where the chord plugs into the laptop, thereby elevating the back of the laptop, it will charge every time. I bought an extra charging port (solder-in type) and my charger definitely "clicks" into it far better than the one currently in the machine. The one in the machine is definitely damaged, the prong that is supposed to "click" and secure the charger is poking through the side of the plastic port. In addition, the port was not soldered correctly from the factory. One side appears to be elevated substantially over the other side….although solder appears intact, that doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling that all 11 connections are firmly affixed to the PCB.