Annoyed with my monitor purchase / Acer support KG271U monitor. There is no speakers

ScarsUnseen
ScarsUnseen Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 7 in Monitors

Hello. I recently bought online a 27" KG271U monitor under the impression that it had built-in speakers, because many websites say that it has 2 speakers. Upon receiving the monitor, there was no sound at all. (I am personally a professional computer repair expert with 20+ years behind me. I'm not seeking troubleshooting advice.)

I contacted Acer support because of the issue with no sound. (I'm not going to disassemble any product that is still covered under a warranty.) Acer tech support confirmed with me that my monitor should have speakers. They checked by the serial number. They advised me to mail my monitor to Acer's repair depot in Texas, which I did. When I received the monitor back, the enclosed letter said that this model does NOT have speakers. What the f…?

I don't have a question. I want to let Acer know that they NEED TO COMMUNICATE BETTER. I can't believe unprofessional Acer's tech support has been. I work for one of Acer's enormous, international vendors. If I worked for Acer, I'd straight up be embarrassed by this. In fact, I likely work for Acer's largest vendor in North America. I'll have to tell my customers now that other manufacturers have better support and communication.

I joined this site just to share the above. That is all. This was a really lousy experience.

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

There are many different versions of the KG271U models, just as there are with most series of monitors. The full model number has a bunch of letters after the KG271U base model, that describe the options installed. I can't speak for the tech you were working with, but they obviously didn't get the full model number to look up,.. Note that this community is for other Acer users and has no direct contact with Acer support, so if you are trying to deliver the message to Acer, it's not going to get there. Contact Acer support directly…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ScarsUnseen

Tinkerer

With the serial number, Acer support can easily pull up all the specs for a product. That's just how it works. I provided them with the serial #… they provided me with incorrect information in return. That is it.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,507 Trailblazer

But if the tech mistyped the number, they could have been looking at almost anything…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ScarsUnseen

Tinkerer

When I search Acer's "Product Support" page with my specific monitor's serial number, it clearly says that my monitor has 2 speakers. I'm literally reading this. Acer messed up.

• ScarsUnseen

Tinkerer

Upon contacting Acer again, they said that "the information in the website in incorrect." Ugh. Even Acer looked up my product with the serial number and found the same issue.

• ScarsUnseen

Tinkerer

They can't offer a solution per "the warranty." However, this warranty is not valid BECAUSE the manufacturer's information on the product — as advertised — is not valid.

I'll be contacting their corporate office in San Jose and the Federal Trade Commission.

I've personally been a professional in the IT world for around 20 years. This lack of a reasonable solution is off-putting. I just wanted sound because the information says there's sound…