Predator Orion 3000 PO3-640 CPU Temp extreme CPU temps while gaming

Options
metalcloud
metalcloud Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 2 in Predator Desktops

I've had the PO3-640 for 4 months and have noticed extreme CPU temps while gaming, and even when i turn the fans the "gaming" setting, not much is done to remedy. This is my first gaming pc so I'm very much a novice but have been looking into replacing the CPU fan but don't quite know where to start. Price for a new fan is not an issue and I've read that Noctua makes ones that are compatible but have also heard the opposite. My CPU temps get as high as 200 F while gaming extended periods sometime so am looking for a fix so I don't damage my PC in the long run.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Search here for the Noctua NH-U9S. Many of the more serious gamers here have done that upgrade on the PO3 models, with great results. Ignore the bit in the online tutorials about pulling the motherboard to replace the back plate, just get the slightly longer screws (10 or 12mm) and use the stock back plate. Most people use C instead of F when monitoring temperatures, 93C peak isn't atypical for the stock cooling setup when in heavy gaming. Expect in the 70-80s after the cooling upgrade.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• metalcloud
    metalcloud Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

So what I'm asking is further instruction on a compatible fan and some tips for installation.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Search here for the Noctua NH-U9S. Many of the more serious gamers here have done that upgrade on the PO3 models, with great results. Ignore the bit in the online tutorials about pulling the motherboard to replace the back plate, just get the slightly longer screws (10 or 12mm) and use the stock back plate. Most people use C instead of F when monitoring temperatures, 93C peak isn't atypical for the stock cooling setup when in heavy gaming. Expect in the 70-80s after the cooling upgrade.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.