its not letting me update i do not know why pls help

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title]
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• ManuelJordan
    ManuelJordan Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options

Sorry to bother your, where did you get the official BIOS upgrade software?

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,808 Pathfinder
    Options

@AdnanIK12

The laptop already has the latest BIOS version, which is 1.52. Hence, the BIOS flash is not needed.

@ManuelJordan

You can find the BIOS update on the Acer support site and put your model number in. https://www.acer.com/us-en/support/product-support

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • ManuelJordan

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28 thanks for the reply … It is for an old very Acer Aspire KAV60 that does not appear in the official search results anymore. Perhaps you have other trustable reference page for old models to get the latest BIOS for that model. Have a nice day

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@ManuelJordan

Here is the 3rd party driver site for your model: https://www.notebook-driver.com/acer-aspire-one-aod250-netbook-windows-drivers/ . Note that I cannot guarantee that it will 100% work so be careful.

Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
  • ManuelJordan

Tinkerer

Options

@AnhEZ28 Sorry by my delay … - and huge thanks for the link

01) Is trustable the page shared? I mean zero risk about virus or something else prior to download and upgrade the BIOS

02) The exact model of my Old Acer is: KAV60 LO3 (it according with the slot for the RAM) - what could be the exact link to download the latest BIOS for that model?

Thanks for your valuable support.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@ManuelJordan

Check this one instead as the previous link is broken. https://www.helpdrivers.com/notebooks/Acer/Aspire_One/AOD250/

This one is trustable since I tested downloading the file by myself. The model of your Acer is the Aspire One D250. The model above you gave me is the motherboard model name, not the whole laptop model name.

• ManuelJordan

Tinkerer

Options

Hello @AnhEZ28

As usual huge thanks for your support. Interesting the link. Really I am wondered why the 2 links provided by you never appeared through Google. I mean, their domains

This one is trustable since I tested downloading the file by myself

How did you test the file? - if you can share a link or youtube video to learn about how to learn to test the BIOS file, really I am going to appreciate that. It to apply it in others PCs in the future. I am assuming would be a kind of simulator, "scanner" etc.

The model of your Acer is the Aspire One D250.

How I can confirm that explicitly? I have installed Linux Peppermint and with some linux commands was not possible to retrieve that kind of `D250` code. It about mostly about the `dmidecode` command. My concern is put the incorrect BIOS in the notebook and send it to oblivion. How do you know that `KAV60 LO3` is `D250`

The model above you gave me is the motherboard model name, not the whole laptop model name.

I see, but consider the previous paragraph.

Just in case: I want upgrade the BIOS to resolve the following situation:

Thanks for your polite and valuable support.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@ManuelJordan

I scanned the file first with the Windows Defender and ran the file (it opens but will show an error because I have a different machine).

I searched the "KAV60 LO3" and most of the results returned with Aspire One D250 included so I assume it is the correct one. The BIOS file has a model number-checking function so running the BIOS for different machines will throw an error code right away.

• ManuelJordan

Tinkerer

Options

Hello @AnhEZ28

Thanks for the reply

I scanned the file first with the Windows Defender and ran the file

I understand, but I mean about if the code itself has the function to harm the PC/Laptop. It is my main concern. I mean something hidden, troyan, virus etc …

(it opens but will show an error because I have a different machine).

Pls, could you expand the idea about this? Was it run at boot time or through a tester? If the latter with what tool?

I searched the "KAV60 LO3" and most of the results returned with Aspire One D250 included so I assume it is the correct one

I understand. I remember I did do the same, but I need be 100% sure prior to apply the BIOS upgrade. I want have zero risk about to harm the notebook.

The BIOS file has a model number-checking function so running the BIOS for different machines will throw an error code right away

Good to know that, it about at boot time, right? The notebook has Linux, not Windows.

**Note** I've never upgraded a BIOS. Thus thanks for your understanding.

• AnhEZ28
    Options

@ManuelJordan

"I understand, but I mean about if the code itself has the function to harm the PC/Laptop. It is my main concern. I mean something hidden, troyan, virus etc …"

• It should not have anything that harms the PC. You can upload the file to Virus Total to ensure that the file is 100% safe. But I don't know what's the point of putting a harmful virus into the driver, it is usually put into pirated software to discourage people from using it.

"Pls, could you expand the idea about this? Was it run at boot time or through a tester? If the latter with what tool?"

• Running the BIOS update program will first check the current laptop model name to ensure that you are using the correct BIOS file. I have a different computer so running BIOS for different machines will just give an incorrect laptop model number.

"I understand. I remember I did do the same, but I need be 100% sure prior to apply the BIOS upgrade. I want have zero risk about to harm the notebook."

• Can you check the bottom of the laptop to see the model number that is printed on a sticker?

"Good to know that, it about at boot time, right? The notebook has Linux, not Windows."

• The BIOS update program is .exe so you will have to use Windows to update it.