Unable to install BIOS update on Veriton N4660G running Win 11.unable to update the latest version

scanner
scanner Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi

I have a five year old BIOS (R01-A1) currently in my Veriton N4660G.

I have downloaded the latest version of the BIOS (R02-A2). Please see picture below of the folders in the ZIP file.

However, I have been unable to update to the latest version. I tried running the R02-A2.exe file but nothing happened. Only the MS-DOS screen came up and went for a couple of seconds. No screen for “Insyde” app came up.

I would appreciate it if someone could guide me by giving mem step by step instructions on how to do it.

Please help, I am so confused. Thanks

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

The R02 BIOS is for a different motherboard than the R01 BIOS. Your N4660G was one of those models that spanned the 8th and 9th gen Intel processors, so the early ones were shipped with different motherboards than the late ones. The R01 BIOS is for the 8th gen motherboards, the R02 is for the 9th gen motherboards. I don't believe there's any upgrade path between them… You should be using the R01-B1 version.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • scanner

Thanks for your reply.

Here is all the BIOS available under my system:

I just tried the R01-B1 version and the same result as above. Here are the extract from R01-B1:

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Did you read the Appendix ?

WinFlashSOP xxx ???

• scanner

Yes I did.

I placed the unzipped package on C drive. Then did the following and nothing happened:

Not sure if I followed the instructions correctly?

• Larryodie

Why not print the instructions and do EXACTLY as it says ???

• Larryodie

123456789 ( character requirement.

• scanner

That is what I did. Here is what I did:

The BIOS package name is "BIOS_Acer_R01-A4_A_A". I placed that folder on the "C" drive which in it has the "Win" folder.

I opened the CMD app as administrator.

I typed the following to point to the "Win" folder:

CD C:\BIOS_Acer_R01-A4_A_A\Win

This worked and took me to the "Win" folder

I then typed the command "flash.bat" which did something for about a couple of second but did not update the BIOS. This is what the screen show:

Are you able to tell me from the screenshot if I have missed something out please?

• Larryodie

Did you search with Serial Number or SNID # as to the correct info

• scanner

yes, I used the serial number to search for drivers and bios

• Larryodie

I don't know but hopefully Acer support or some of the permanent Acer techs on this board will help.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer

Acer support doesn't have anyone monitoring the board here. There are only the moderators and they are mostly concerned with spam and abuse issues. That script file contains the command:

afuwinx64 ..\ROM\R01-B1.cap /P /B /N /R /MEUL /CAPSULE

and running the afuwinx64 command alone shows that all those command switches are valid. As is the ..\ROM\R01-B1.cap filename. You might be running into a permissions issue with acting directly on C:. Try extracting the file to your downloads folder and running it from there.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • scanner

I have tried running the file from other locations including from the download folder without success.

I am wondering if the text "Intel Bios Guard Technology is eabled" on the dos screen (see below) has something to do with it?