Aspire TC-885 Powering USB After AC Power Has Been Reconnected.

StephenTech
StephenTech Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited December 2023 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire TC-885 desktop computer (running Windows 11) and I am having an issue where if power to the computer is switched off and then re-instated (whether that being from a power cut, disconnecting the cable etc) the USB ports on the unit will act as if the unit is fully switched on. When I shutdown my desktop or put it to sleep the ports no longer provide power which is good as this means my RGB keyboard switches off. However when the power is cut to the unit and reinstated all ports provide power until I boot up and shutdown the computer. This would be fine however it causes my RGB keyboard to illuminate, due to a power outage last night the keyboard was illuminated for over 4 hours through the night due to this issue. Another strange thing is that before I disabled the keyboard from being able to wake the device, it would switch the RGB off when the unit went to sleep and remain only charging, this would also be the case if it was purely connected to power - which seems to suggest the computer is telling the keyboard that it is on and should be awake. I have struggled to find much information on this around the forums and other websites and have tried several troubleshooting steps. I haven't been able to find any relevant settings in the windows control panel under the power section. I have tried changing power management settings on the USB controllers in device manager with no luck. I have also looked at Acer Quick Access where some documentation stated there would be a setting however the only setting listed in there is the blue light shield. I have also looked in the BIOS under the power section but there doesn't seem to be anything relevant other than the setting allowing the keyboard to wake the device which I have now disabled as mentioned earlier.

I would be very grateful if somebody would be able to find a solution!

Thank You - Stephen

Best Answer

• StephenTech

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Thank You for your help, I have now found a solution which seems to be working! After some further digging I found that the origin of the issue was related to fast start-up so after disabling this feature the USB ports are only powered for seconds before shutting off when AC power is reconnected.

If anyone is having a similar issue I have provided the instructions for Windows 11: Control Panel → Hardware and Sound → Power Options → Choose what the power buttons do → Change settings that are currently unavailable → Uncheck - Turn on fast start-up

Once again thanks for the help (:

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon

Your RGB has a battery in it. What's is it to do when a power outage ?

Can you program the KB to turn of if it loses signal?

I think its a KB issue not Win or Acer ?

• StephenTech

Tinkerer

My RGB keyboard is a Kechron K8, when power is supplied it charges, indicated by an LED on the keyboard deck, this happens no matter what mode it is in. When the keyboard is in wired mode (the only mode I use) it will only turn on it's RGB lights if it connected to a device which can take a keyboard input, on boot lights do NOT turn on until the desktop has got to a stage in boot that may require keyboard input, like accessing the BIOS or booting into an OS whereas power is supplied instantly so the charging LED in on. The RGB lights turn off when the computer goes to sleep or the USB connection from the computer is no longer providing power. What I am trying to find out is how to prevent power from being provided on every USB port on the desktop after power has been reinstated, so no matter the keyboards software or configuration it will not have the power needed to operate in the first place as is the case when the computer is shutdown. This isn't an isolated issue with that specific keyboard as it happens across multiple devices I own!

• StephenTech

Tinkerer

I had replied to your comment but it seems to have disappeared now so I will summarise what I previously said. My RGB keyboard is a Keychron K8 and has an LED light on the deck which indicates when it is charging. The keyboard will always charge no matter what mode it is in as long as power is being provided over the USB cable. I operate my keyboard primarily in wired mode so it is directly connected to my computer using this USB cable, when the computer is on this charging LED is illuminated as the keyboard is receiving power. The RGB lights on the keyboard will only switch on if the keyboard is connected to a device which recognises it as a keyboard, for instance during boot the charging LED will be illuminated from the instant the power button is pressed but the RGB lights only switch on when the desktop first allows for text input like when reaching the screen to load into the BIOS or continue to the OS. I want to know how to prevent the computer from supplying power on every USB port on the computer when AC power is restored, as this will prevent the keyboard from switching on or charging as there will be no power in the first place. This isn't an isolated issue either multiple of my devices are receiving power and as a result have LED lights illuminated or other indicators.

• Larryodie

Possibly go to device manager then your USB's , one at a time. Do power management

• Larryodie

OOPS as I see that you have done that.

I don't know.

• StephenTech

Tinkerer

Answer ✓

Thank You for your help, I have now found a solution which seems to be working! After some further digging I found that the origin of the issue was related to fast start-up so after disabling this feature the USB ports are only powered for seconds before shutting off when AC power is reconnected.

If anyone is having a similar issue I have provided the instructions for Windows 11: Control Panel → Hardware and Sound → Power Options → Choose what the power buttons do → Change settings that are currently unavailable → Uncheck - Turn on fast start-up

Once again thanks for the help (: