Can I somehow make power supply with a 24 pin connector work with my Aspire XC 1760?

Options
Datsunma
Datsunma Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

I was hoping that I could make a graphics card uppgrade to an Aspire XC 1760 but I needed a power supply upgrade aswell if that was gonna be possible. I have a power supply that atleast will mount inside the small case but it doesn't have the right connectors for the motherboard, it has a 24 pin connector and the XC 1760 motherboard obviously doesn't use a 24 pin connector. Please tell me that this can easily be saved by a simple adapter and not that I now need a new motherboard for this, alright thanks!

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,065 Trailblazer
    edited December 2023
    Options

You can buy an 8pin to 24pin PSU adapter cable but I’m not sure about the compatibility of a 24-pin to 8-pin PSU adapter cable with these PSU for the XC-1760 desktop.

XC-1760 PSU specs and part numbers

However, look at this discussion on Linus Tech Tips where users have shared their experiences with similar adapters. You can also check out the Amazon product page for a 24 Pin to 8 Pin ATX PSU Power Adapter Cable that is compatible with Dell Optiplex 3020 7020 9020 Precision T1700 T20 and other 8 Pin motherboards. Please note that it is important to ensure that the adapter cable is compatible with your specific motherboard and power supply unit before making a purchase. Good luck and hope this has helped you out.

Aspire XC-1760 mainboard

If this answers your question and solved your query please "Click on Yes" or "Click on Like" if you find my answer useful👍

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,962 Trailblazer
    Options

You will likely have to build the cable yourself, you need a 6 pin for the main connector on the MB and that's what comes off the 24 pin used on the old style power supplies. The 8 pin is usually easy and included on most of the larger wattage units. There will also be additional connectors off the PSU to hook up to the GPU card itself. Here are the pinouts on those two motherboard connectors:

And here is a picture of the 24 pin connector:

So pins 10,11,15,16,17,18 need to populate the 6 pin.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Datsunma

Tinkerer

Options

Did I do something wrong? These must be the right pins but it won’t power on.

• billsey
    Options

Yes, it looks like you have them all backwards. Isn't pin 1 the one with the green dot?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,442 Supercomputer Wrangler WiFi Icon
    Options

Hopefully your PS just cut off and not burnt because of 12 V tied to ground. Always use an ohmmeter to locate your grounds.

Check your 12V PS with a volt meter (disconnected) before proceeding.

• Larryodie
    Options
  • Datsunma

Tinkerer

Options

Are you sure about this? The original power supply doesn't seem to have anything connnected to pin 1 if that even is pin 1

• billsey
    edited January 1
    Options

Yes, your original connector looks different than what I was thinking. I'm probably looking at the pinout from the bottom instead of the top. Try leaving that sixth pin (#4) disconnected to see if that works better.

Note that some ATX PSUs require there be a load on either the +5V Standby or on the +5V rail, and those will not work in a 12VO environment.

• Datsunma

Tinkerer

Options

I'm sorry, I'm really confused on where each pin is. I assumed from the chart of the 6-pin that you put above that pin 1 is supposed to have a green wire and by looking at the original connector that green wire was going in the top left so I assumed that must be pin 1. I just don't want to do anything wrong from now on.

Also the power supply I was gonna uppgrade to has active PFC so I'm guessing that it will run fine without a load on the +5V Standby or the +5V rail.

• Larryodie
    edited January 3
    Options

deleted…..

• Danky972
    Danky972 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

My 1760 came with 180w
    then with the update of the gtx 1650 I had to buy 300w
    now I use 500w to be able to update with rtx 4060 lp

Psu 500w you can find: New For Acer Switching PSU 8PIN (6Pin+2PIN) 500W FSP500-20TGBAB in Aliexpress

• billsey
    Options

That ought to work. Great find!

• Danky972
    Danky972 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I am satisfied with it
    exactly the same size as 180/300w + power supply for RTX 4060 low profile

• Texpis
    Texpis Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

hi I am interested in fitting this PSU it shows a 10 pin connector where the board is a 8 pin ho did you get round this

mick

• Seglem
    Seglem Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Did you succeed with making your own cable? I bought a 550w with the same huge thing compared to what we have

• Datsunma

Tinkerer

Options

Well, I did de-pin some pins that I think this PC needs but I don't know about these white ones that the original connector has, the 24-pin connector doesn't seem to have any white labeled pins so I'm trying to figure out what the white pins are.

• billsey
    Options

The white wires in that picture are supposed to be yellow, since they are +12VDC.

• Datsunma

Tinkerer

Options

Oh, ok. So the other pins should be correctly labeled though, right? Is the green pin on the original connector the same green pin on the 24-pin?

• billsey
    Options

Yeah, the green should be able to be traced to the power enable on the PSU.