What type of power cable do I need for a SATA drive in an Aspire XC-840?

BalooSJ
BalooSJ Member Posts: 2 New User

My father recently bought an Aspire XC-840, and the included SDD was quite small (128 GB), so I figured I'd give him another one and install it as a Christmas present. However, when I opened up the case I was quite dismayed to see that there was no traditional PSU in the case, and therefore no SATA power cable. There are SATA ports on the motherboard, but they are for data and not power.

I found a video online where a slightly different version of the XC-840 was opened up and shown, and this particular computer had a DVD drive that appeared to get power from a white socket just below one of the SATA ports. My father's computer has this socket, but no cable that fits it, and it appears to be a non-standard socket:

So, I'm wondering what type of cable I need to connect this socket to the power on a SATA SSD, and where I would be able to get it – preferably in Sweden where I live.

Best Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,421 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Yes, that white connector has power for up to two SATA devices. Here's the Acer part number:

There are other cables that will work, just with longer wires (you don't want one with shorter wires).

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • billsey
    Answer ✓

Yes, that one Googles out to a SATA Cable Power L:200+150mm, so 200mm (around 8 inches) to the first connector and then 150mm (closer to 6 inches) to the next.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓

Yes, that white connector has power for up to two SATA devices. Here's the Acer part number:

There are other cables that will work, just with longer wires (you don't want one with shorter wires).

• BalooSJ
    BalooSJ Member Posts: 2 New User

Thank you!

In another place, I found a reference to 50.VQED3.001. Would this be a similar cable other than maybe length? It looks similar on pictures, but the devil is in the details as they say.

• billsey
    Answer ✓

Yes, that one Googles out to a SATA Cable Power L:200+150mm, so 200mm (around 8 inches) to the first connector and then 150mm (closer to 6 inches) to the next.