Keyboard issues with Nitro. My observations are shared here..

Options
ConcernedAboutKB
ConcernedAboutKB Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2023 in Nitro Gaming

This is less an "Aspire" issue and more a general "laptop" issue, but it doesn't look like there's a forum for general laptop issues. This really isn't a forum matter, but something more fit for a customer service e-mail (which does not appear to be available as a forum selection) and about the website in general. I picked this category because my latest laptop from you was a Nitro.

Issue 1: (the online store)

In this day and age, how is ANYONE selling laptops online without clear views of the keyboard? If I'm going to pay several hundred dollars, I want to do so with the knowledge that I won't be regretting my purchase for the next 3-5 years. Most of the 80ish laptops I saw (everything but Chromebooks) had an overhead picture, but not all. (Ditto looking at CostCo's website, your resellers should be encouraged to have clear keyboard pictures too.)

Issue 2: (the keyboards)

I could be mistaken, but I think 2 laptops ago I had a laptop from you (not in my e-mail, so I must have bought in person) with a near perfect keyboard. Looking through ALL your laptops, right now I can't find ONE with that layout. The Nitros come close (and are what I'm using now), but the numeric keypad has been messed up. (half-sized plus, the -, *, / and NumLock keys moved to add a Nitrosense button that I've never had use for). Remapping with the registry wasn't enough, I had to disable 1 or 2 programs that came with the laptop to fix the numeric keyboard. Also, while the 4 keys above the keyboard used to be (left to right) home, page up, page down, end, they were changed to page up, page down, end, power. (Home was moved above backspace, pushing delete one slot left as well, sharing a key with insert.) Also, to shrink the space used, the keypad's 0 was shrunk to squish it above the arrow keys. I've kept hitting the arrow when I wanted 0 for a good while. Also, power should never be mixed in with the normal keys. Too easy to hit accidentally.

I know I won't find a perfect 104 key keyboard on a laptop, but you used to have the next best thing. It's too bad there's not a good (or is there) way to add custom keyboards to laptops. (Outside of a separate usb/bluetooth keyboard that's fine if you're using your laptop as a desktop, but not if you're actively carrying it from room to room, using it on your lap)

For my next laptop, I'll probably be going with someone else, but hopefully by the time of the laptop following, I can find a proper kb on your site again. I may be in the minority, but I'd happily buy a heavier/bigger laptop if a "replaceable kb standard" was made letting me put together my own kb lego-style or attach an aftermarket ON-LAPTOP keyboard.

This is an example of better:

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/gaming-laptops/alienware-m18-gaming-laptop/spd/alienware-m18-r1-laptop/useahbtsm18r1rplggxp

but above 7, 8, 9, - should be home, page up, page down, end (or home, end, page up, page down, something easy to remember / absorb) but leaving the delete key immediately left of the keypad and not making you use FN for printscreen or other routine-use keys. (F1-F12 on some laptops…) seriously, if there's ONE key you can probably get rid of, it's the context-menu button between right-control and right-alt. We still have shift-f10, at least until it's used as a meta-key like the windows button is.

As for my current Nitro 5, other than the broken (but mostly fixable with some effort) kb, it's been mostly a joy to work with. Moving the keys around on the laptop didn't work well. Some never wanted to seat correctly after being moved.

One more option that would be nice, but unlikely to see implemented. A track-pad mollyguard button. The trackpad off unless you press a separate button to activate it. (I manage to move the mouse and click without meaning too far too often, and while there is a keyboard shortcut to turn the trackpad on and off, holding down a single key would be better)

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]