Emachine desktop ET1331G-05w won't wake from sleep/hiberation

Options
seandmal
seandmal Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Recently my desktop has had a problem fully waking from sleep/hiberation mode. When i press the power button on the outer shell the fan comes on and it appears to be booting up but the outer light never comes on and it never fully awakes and doesn't actually boot up to display anything on the screen. It does this about half the time I put it to sleep. Thus far i've replaced the power supply which initially seemed to fix the problem but a few weeks later it reverted to the same issue. I'm worried the motherboard or hard drive are going bad. Any insight?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Typically the coin cell batteries used to keep the CMOS settings in place while the computer is off last somewhere in the 5-10 years range. Your system is older than that, so if you haven't replaced it before it's likely overdue. Most are 2032 coin batteries, but you should look at yours to see for sure.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Options

Boy, that's an oldie… Which OS are you running? Have you installed or updated software recently that might be causing the issue? Normally when you can't wake from sleep it's due to an app that doesn't completely go to sleep, and you can't wake back up until you are fully asleep. Hibernation is handled a bit differently though, but the same caveats can hold.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • seandmal

Tinkerer

edited December 2023
    Options

Lol its older yeah. Thanks for the response. I'm running Windows 10 Home. I haven't installed anything recently I can remember. I should probably clarify it's been doing this for a year or two now. I've messed with the power settings in windows a lot and even disabled hibernation for a time but nothing works. It does seem that the longer the computer is asleep the harder it is to wake it up but that's not always a hard and fast rule. When it does fail to wake the only way to get it to boot up is unplug the power cord from the back and wait a few seconds then replug and hit power again. Sometimes I do this 3 or 4 times before it works, other times it instantly lights up and begins booting up.

• billsey
    Options

Any chance the CMOS battery is getting too old?

• seandmal

Tinkerer

Options
  • seandmal

Tinkerer

Options

Realized today that I usually put the computer in hibernate mode and not sleep. But I put it in sleep this week on accident and it seemed to be worse. The computer wouldn't come on when I tried to wake it up with the mouse, just the fan came on. But even when I unplugged it it and replugged it several times it kept doing the non wake where the fan whirs but it doesn't fully wake up. Normally if it's in hibernate I just unplug it and then when I replug I hit the power button. But in sleep mode it was stuck in some inbetween state and would just force the fans back on when I plugged it back in. Had to do this 4 or 5 times and let it sit unplugged for a few minutes before it booted up again.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options

Typically the coin cell batteries used to keep the CMOS settings in place while the computer is off last somewhere in the 5-10 years range. Your system is older than that, so if you haven't replaced it before it's likely overdue. Most are 2032 coin batteries, but you should look at yours to see for sure.

• seandmal

Tinkerer

Options

It appears it was indeed the cmos battery. I put a new one in and the computer started right up. Weirdly the fan started going crazy and running on high but after I eventually restarted the computer it went back to normal. So far so good. Thanks

• billsey
    Options

Yeah, the settings were probably corrupted, causing the fan speed, and were reset once you got past the initial POST. Just to be on the safe side it's usually best to boot into the BIOS and do a reset to factory (usually F9) followed by a save and exit (usually F10).

• seandmal

Tinkerer

Options

Spoke too soon, it's already reverted to the same issues on waking from hibernation. I had the push the power button over and over because the fan kept whirring then stopping and the whole computer would try to start up and die. Slightly different than before but basically the same. I can try another battery because I'm not sure how old this one is.